SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
svejkovat

Help me find a recipe for a 'bready' tapioca pudding?

svejkovat
9 years ago

I've tried 'tapioca cake' and 'fluffy tapioca pudding'. The 'fluffy' recipes are no more than beaten egg whites added at the last stage. Tried it. Not what I'm looking for.

The photos of Tapioca Cake are not what I'm after either. Too evidently dry. Not dense and pudding-like.

I crave something of the consistency between these two extremes, perhaps like a bread pudding, but moister yet. I'm ready to start wasting eggs and kitchen time with experiments but don't want total disasters.

Under consideration is preparing tapioca beads as generally prescribed, soaking them in water overnight and draining. Instead of separating the yolks and whites, wait until the very last stage and run the whole eggs in a blender on high. This is usually how I make very fluffy (souffle like) omelets. The blender aerates the yolks and whites approximately 2.5X. In a well preheated pan (teflon or better, SS with a thin layer of olive oil raise to just smoking level) I drop the aerated eggs, add fillings, cover securely, and put on very low heat for about 10 minutes. When carefully folded an ultra thick down-blankety and moist omelet results.

Anyone aware of a recipe with similar procedures to end up with a truly dense, bready, tapioca pudding that is similar to bread pudding (but yet a little more moist and dense yet?)?

Maybe blend/foam and then par-cook the eggs in advance and fold the semi-formed mass into the thick tapioca boil along with a 1/2 tsp of baking soda? Maybe spread all of this into a two inch depth in cake pan and bake?

Natural vanilla, naturally. Turbinado sugar... of course. 1/4 tsp of McKormic's Pumpkin Pie Spice. When served, a light sprinkling of vanilla and dark rum.

I'm looking for tapioca nirvana.

Any suggestions?

This post was edited by svejkovat on Tue, Oct 28, 14 at 22:46

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations