SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pdxgal_gw

White Oil Based Paint

pdxgal
14 years ago

Forgive me for cross posting. I didn't realize there was a paint forum. I posted this over in the kitchen forum but thought I would post it here too.

Why didn't anyone tell me that white oil based paint has a tendency to yellow over time?

This is my first kitchen/house remodel and I have sure learned a lot. One being that white oil based paint yellows, and can yellow pretty quickly (sprayed a little over a year ago). My entire house was sprayed with BM Satin Impervo paint for trim, doors, and kitchen cabinets. It looks great, is durable, cleans nicely, but in the kitchen I've noticed that where the cabinet doors meet the frame they are yellowing. Also on my window sill, it's starting to yellow underneath the objects I have on top of the ledge. Is this common?

For all of you that have white kitchens, I'm curious what kind of paint you have and have you noticed any yellowing? Again, the yellowing is only in places where air can't get to so it's not on the outside, but I do have spots on my window sill if I ever want to move what I have on top of the sill. I don't suppose there is anything I can do about it?

Comments (4)