casey_nfld

Elizabeth Taylor Died

casey_nfld
13 years ago

Just read the news.

Comments (27)

• User
    13 years ago

I just seen then I was about to post it. She was 79.

• jannie
    13 years ago

Oh, and I remember when she turned 40, it was on the cover of Life magazine back in the day.

• Related Discussions

R.I.P. Elizabeth Taylor

Q

Comments (3)
    Loved that lady, she did lots of good in this world. First saw her when she was about 12 years old in National Velvet.She had so many major medical problems.
    ...See More

Re: Elizabeth Taylor

Q

Comments (16)
    "What a great actress and a great person from what I've heard." She & Richard Burton went to Germany to adopt a child; they were rich & famous, & they could have had their choice of any perfect child in the orphanage, & here's what happened: âÂÂThe German officials wanted me to have a âÂÂperfect babyâÂÂ. To me she was perfect. She was covered in abscesses, suffering from malnutrition and had a crippled hip, maybe for life"and I just loved her. She did not cry, she did not laugh. She watched everything. I held her and I bathed her and I changed her for three days and finally she started giggling. This funny little introverted person that was sort of half-asleep, responded so to love, the warmth, I think, of two arms. Her first word was Mama. I guess thatâÂÂs universal, isnâÂÂt it. But when it happens, you just die.â Elizabeth Taylor on first meeting Maria Burton & in later years, she did a tremendous amount ofwork for AIDS awareness & raised lots of money for AIDS research. She was beautiful, & she was talented, & she had a heart.
    ...See More

Den. Haleahi Butterfly 'profusion' x Den Mem. Doug Taylor 'giant'

Q

Comments (1)
    My favorite also. How nice to memorialize him by taking care of his plants. That one is very pretty. Jane
    ...See More

Den. Haleahi Butterfly 'Profusion' X Den. Mem. Doug Taylor 'Giant'

Q

Comments (2)
    Gorgeous coloring, the blooms glow!
    ...See More
  • alisande
    13 years ago

She was such a beauty. And I love statement her son issued today:

"My Mother was an extraordinary woman who lived life to the fullest, with great passion, humor, and love," said her son, Michael Wilding, in a statement. "Though her loss is devastating to those of us who held her so close and so dear, we will always be inspired by her enduring contribution to our world. Her remarkable body of work in film, her ongoing success as a businesswoman, and her brave and relentless advocacy in the fight against HIV/AIDS, all make us all incredibly proud of what she accomplished. We know, quite simply, that the world is a better place for Mom having lived in it. Her legacy will never fade, her spirit will always be with us, and her love will live forever in our hearts."

• gemini40
    13 years ago

She did a lot of living in those 79 years didn't she? RIP Liz.
    June

• OklaMoni
    13 years ago

She led an incredible life. I hope, to get to that age before it is over for me.

Moni

• liz
    13 years ago

such an interesting women and ohhh what a life she lead...she certainly lived it to its fullest! I'll miss seeing those violet eyes Liz and I'm forever thankful you made Lassie Come Home...

• lowspark
    13 years ago

So sad. What a lovely statement by her son. She simply radiated beauty. And she made some really great movies. Some of those from the 50s, although not so well known now, are available on DVD. I've recently watched a few of them and my jaw just drops at how beautiful she was.

• Lily316
    13 years ago

I am sad. I idolized her when I was a child. IMO there never was a more beautiful woman in the world when she was in her 20's. Drop dead gorgeous. Yes, she led a turbulent interesting life, but she also did much good in the world and made some lovely movies.

• SunnyDJ
    13 years ago

I think she was a "true Movie Star", not what we have today...She did lead an interesting life....
    RIP

• lynn_d
    13 years ago

Sher certainly was a wonderful woman, she indeed was a living legend. What a wonderful commentary on her life, Susan, thank you so much for sharing it.

"We know, quite simply, that the world is a better place for Mom having lived in it." I only pray that when I pass that someone, somewhere thinks this.

• jannie
    13 years ago

Eight marriages, icluding two to Richard Burton, All those movies. Her movie Cleopatra ran first-run in Buffalo NY for over a year. Plus all her charity work.
    My father once crossed her path in an airport. He said her eyes were really violet. What a life! RIP,Liz.

• dotmom
    13 years ago

She lived her life.....her way, but also did a lot of good works. She was one good looking woman.

• Cricketm
    13 years ago

Not only was she the most beautiful women in the world but, she was a wonderful mother and sincere friend. She was an excellent actress, I believe, under rated......there will only be one Elizabeth Taylor. A legend is gone....so sad....She was always generous to her chosen charities.....She will be missed!

• chisue
    13 years ago

Her beauty was also her curse. Her parents pushed her into a career as a child and Hollywood continued to exploit her, making a young girl into a sex goddess. She had no childhood, no chance to bloom or choose in her own good time. She became tough in order to survive.

She was *beautiful*. I'm glad that not every Beauty must have such a scarred life.

• nanny98
    13 years ago

My DH's first love. We were so blessed to be growing up during the best years of her life.....oh how we admired her beauty....and later her acting talent, then later her great compassion for the 'least' among us. Bless you Elizabeth.

• arcy_gw
    13 years ago

Has anyone ever heard of another person with her eye color? It is fascinating. Tragic what a mess her private life was.

• dollydolots
    13 years ago

Remember she was dubbed Dame Elizabeth by Queen Elizabeth in England.
    That is a great honor for anyone to have.
    I believe it was because she did so many humanitarian things in the world.
    Dolly

• cynic
    13 years ago

No doubt quite an actress in her early years until she was cast aside by Hollywood but what a sad life she seemed to lead for most of her life, never really finding happiness. The one marriage that did make her happy ended abruptly with his death and then skip from marriage to marriage searching for that elusive element. Really sad. And it shows that money can't buy happiness or for that matter, good health. She apparently found some comfort in the causes she supported which is good. Maybe in her death she'll find the peace and happiness she searched for in life. RIP.

• yayagal
    13 years ago

When I was 18, I heard a buzz that she was at the Ritz Carlton in Boston and I worked near by so I got over there at lunchtime to see a group of people outside and a limo waiting. She came out in a white full length fitted coat and she was incredibly beautiful in person. Very petite and delicate looking and so friendly to every one. I continued to love her all through the years for her spunk and blatant honesty. She was an amazing fearless woman and helped so many. RIP Liz.

• arcy_gw
    13 years ago

Her one "happy" marriage was mentioned above. I heard Debbie Reynolds and Carrie Fisher discussing this time of their lives too, recently. I find it fascinating with all the evidence to the contrary any one would think that that one marriage would have lasted, been any happier in the long run than all the others. She just wasn't a person who could sustain a marriage. I think the Richard Burton experience proves it. She may have been wonderful in many other ways, but not this one. How one could be such a loyal friend and not be marriageable I don't know, but the evidence speaks for itself.

• amicus
    13 years ago

I loved Elizabeth Taylor's childhood movies, Lassie Come Home and National Velvet. She was a great beauty even then. She has certainly given money and time to many causes throughout the years and should be appreciated for that aspect. However, although she shares great beauty and philanthropic work with actress Angelina Jolie, I cannot ignore that they both chose to have affairs with married men. Elizabeth did it twice, once with married Richard Burton and again with married Eddie Fisher, and Angelina of course with Brad Pitt. I understand it takes two to tango, but some women have a standard of not involving themselves with a married man, which obviously wasn't the case with Elizabeth or Angelina.

• chisue
    13 years ago

All her marriages were failures. There's no reason to think her marriage to Mike Todd wouldn't have failed too, given more time. Was it 'them'? Was it 'her'? Was it 'Hollywood'?

• alisande
    13 years ago

I read on MSNBC this morning that the anti-gay church wackos are planning to picket her funeral. How disgusting (again).

• marie_ndcal
    13 years ago

I don't think the church people showed up as she was buried today due to Jewish Tradition.

• chisue
    13 years ago

No tag days for her. Net worth estimated at $1 billion. In the 1990's she was believed to be making $2 a second from her various investments and businesses.

I'm reminded of my DH's favorite saying: Take what you want...and pay for it. They made her a 'commodity' and she did what she could with it.

• samkaren
    13 years ago

Don't blast me for this but I wasn't a fan and I never understood the attraction. JMO but she was "famous" for her failed marriages, perfume, association with Michael Jackson and her battle with her weight.

SamKaren
    your resident DJ

• wifetojoeiii
    13 years ago

My very dear Mother (passed away in Nov 2009) was a contemporary of Elizabeth Taylor. When my Mom was growing up Ms. Taylor became famous for her roles in National Velvet and Lassie and my Mother was really entranced by her. She frequently told us (my sibs and I) how the world idolized her, what a movie star she was and then later her 2 Oscar wins and ultimate stardom.

I always thought that she must have really entranced men and then became tired of them (don't we all at times??)