SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brutuses

Need your thoughts on beadboard/wainscoting

brutuses
16 years ago

I've searched all the old posts trying to find answers to my questions, but the fact is there are so many posts, it would take me a year to review all of them and still maybe not get my answers.

I can't believe the day is finally here that I have to make some concrete decisions on paint color and beadboard height. Yeppie!! Yet, I'm stressing.

I want to use beadboard in the master bath, guest bath and guest bedroom.

My questions are what heights to use in each room. At first I thoguht I wanted 6' in all the rooms. I thought, with the 10' ceilings, that height would look substantial and give a more old country feel. Then I read someone's post the other day questioning picture/art placement and then I had to rethink my decision to place all the rooms at the 6' height.

So here are my questions. First of all I'm concerned about the wall sconces and where they will fall in relation to the beadboard and whether they should be actually on the beadboard or above it and if above it, by how much? The sconce placement is already installed so that can't be changed. They are centered at 66" (5 1/2 ft.) from the floor.

Secondly, I may have a piece or two of large artwork in the guest bedroom and am now concerned how the artwork would look if the beadboard cap falls anywhere behind where the art needs to hang. The art couldn't hang flat against the wall and that's a concern. I don't want the art too high or too low. Is this making any sense?

Thanks for your help on this.

Comments (15)