SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
contrabecky

standard size for negative sink reveal?

contrabecky
16 years ago

Our quartz countertop and undermount sink were installed 2 days ago, and we just noticed that the sink cutout is substantially smaller than the sink. The result is that the countertop overhangs the sink by about half an inch all the way around, with some variation (the overhang is less than a quarter inch in some places). Is this a standard negative reveal, or did we err by failing to discuss the reveal in advance with the fabricator? FWIW, we used a sink provided by the fabricator (we didn't even receive the sink until the day of the install), so we assumed that they knew the exact measurements.

I don't think this is a huge problem, though I'm a little worried about ramming delicate glassware on the countertop ledge when taking it out of the sink. And I assume that there's not much to be done about it now (buy a smaller sink?!). But I'd like to know for my own reference what the standard is and what to keep in mind the next time we renovate a kitchen (!). We had, obviously naively, assumed that the sink would be flush with the countertop--is this not commonly done?

thanks in advance for any insights!

Comments (5)