SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karoloke_gw

Cabinet Coat questions

karoloke
16 years ago

Sorry for so many questions in advance, but maybe it will help others, too.

I'm about to repaint my bathroom cupboards and trim. I have read many of the posts about Cabinet Coat paint but still have some questions. I found a dealer that carries it for $42 a gallon, and they don't sell quarts, (which I think is all I'd need) so I'm wondering if it is that much better quality paint that it is worth paying extra (I already have a can of Behr paint from another room that I can use).

Also, what steps do I need to take to paint over a high-gloss oil paint? After reading the posts, I'm still not entirely clear about everything I need to do. Do I:

1. clean first (do I use Dirtex, or amonia or something else?)

2. sand with 220-grit(?) sand sponge (I'm not sure how much I need to sand)

3. wipe off dust (do I use a a tack cloth or wet sponge?)

4. prime before painting over the oil paint? (If I need to prime, do I use oil based or water based primer? I already have some Kilz oil primer.) There are a couple places where I had to scrape off old paint to the bare wood - don't know if that makes a difference.

5. lightly sand primer with 220 grit(?) and wipe off dust again.

6. paint raised areas on doors first(?) then let dry before painting the flat surface of cupboards? (not sure just how long the raised part needs to dry before moving on.)

I know it is best to use thin coats to avoid sagging and dripping, but If I do notice a drip or something after 10 or 15 minutes, what do you recommend?

How many coats do you recommend, and do I sand between each coat with 220(?) grit sand paper?

I'm a little intimidated to get started. Thanks for all your help and expertise. The paint store didn't seem too familiar with CC and they weren't very helpful.

Comments (11)