SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
clubm

Shampoo/Conditioner

clubm
16 years ago

What brand shampoo and conditioner do you use?

Comments (41)

• monica_pa Grieves
    16 years ago

John Frieda's Sheer Blonde shampoo and Sheer Blonde Conditioner

• azzalea
    16 years ago

I use Avalon's Nourishing Lavender Shampoo. No conditioner (I'm generally allergic to them). But this particular brand of shampoo, available in natural products places, leaves my hair extremely healthy. And it doesn't bother my allergies as most do. Bit pricey at $7-9 for a relatively small bottle--but so well worth it.

• Related Discussions

Clarifying & hard/well water shampoos & conditioners

Q

Comments (1)
    Disregard. This board's dead, so I posted elsewhere & found what I needed.
    ...See More

Good 2-1 Shampoo/Conditioner

Q

Comments (1)
    i'm not a fan but my mother used to use pantene... to me, since i wash my hair first, then a bit of conditioner while i finish washing, then rinse everything.. dosen't take that much time... actually, my fave is the tube that comes with the temp coloring by clairol...it only takes a dot for me (i have short hair)
    ...See More

Acne/pimples from shampoo or conditioner?

Q

Comments (44)
    If it is only showing up on his forehead and cheeks, it could be the shampoo. Try to find a shampoo without Sodium Laurel Sulfate. Difficult to find but they are out there. Does he wash his face with any other products? Something mild like Aveeno might be worth a try. I'd have a dermatologist check for rosacea, which is also accompanied by small broken blood vessels. Any product he is using could make rosacea worse. Even toothpaste has it and I realized recently that some of the other added ingredients in toothpaste was affecting my gums and the inside of my cheeks like a sloughing off of skin. I switched to a more 'regular' toothpaste without all the whiteners, etc and it stopped. Weird and creepy but that's what it was I think.
    ...See More

Good Shampoo/Conditioner

Q

Comments (4)
    I just wanted to mention that if you spend a lot of time swimming, you should try out some swimmer-specific shampoo to use after time in chlorinated or salt water. I use Malibu Swimmers Wellness Shampoo several times per week after swimming and it has done a wonderful job of keeping my hair healthy. As for regular shampoo and conditioner, I used to be loyal to Aveda products (upon the recommendation of my hairdresser). But at some point I found my hair feeling limp and dry. I decided to try out a few other products and I've been happy with these. I'm not certain if they would work for your specific situation, but they've kept my hair soft and full despite swimming in chlorinated water multiple times per week. Desert Essence Coconut Shampoo Desert Essence Coconut Conditioner Alba Botanica Hawaiian Coconut Conditioner
    ...See More
  • OklaMoni
    16 years ago

Pantene

• kim_still_in_pa
    16 years ago

I use low cost/sale shampoos such as Pert or Pantene, etc. about 4-5 times a week. I keep a more expensive bottle of salon shampoo or Nexus Diametress and conditioner for use on the other days. My hair looks better when I switch out the shampoos rather than using the same one day in and day out.

Kim

• iowagirl2006
    16 years ago

I agree with Kim about the switching.

I love Pantene - and use that most of the time. I also like the John Frieda Sheer Blonde.

I do have some salon shampoo - and my hairdresser swears that is the only kind you should use. That you should never use shampoo from the regular stores.

I don't really care for 99% of the salon shampoos. Give me my Pantene!

• jannie
    16 years ago

I use Head and Shoulders two in one shampoo-conditioner. Dandruff problem here.

• Kathsgrdn
    16 years ago

The cheapest I can find, lately been using V05. Mostly Suave. I've bought the more expensive ones and never have I noticed a difference in my hair. So why spend $7 for a bottle of shampoo when I can spend 87 cents?

• susan_on
    16 years ago

Pantene here too.

• caflowerluver
    16 years ago

What ever is the cheapest at Big Lots. LOL
    Clare

• sue_va
    16 years ago

I used Breck hair products for years until it just disappeared from the stores. Then a year or so ago I heard a radio commercial that Breck was back! The only place I have found it is at $Tree. I get a couple bottles of the shampoo and conditioner when they have it. I found though that the Hair Spray is made in China and it is NOT good. The shampoo, conditioner and mousse is still made in Canada, and they are fine. The shampoo and conditioner is in big bottles too. A buck a bottle suits me just fine.

Sue

• azzalea
    16 years ago

Just to answer why spend $7? for a bottle of shampoo?

First--I have major allergies to many chemicals, so I have to go with products that don't make me break out or give me respiratory problems.

Second--and here's the important reason why I'll NEVER use cheap shampoo again. I'd used the same supermarket brand for over 30 years. Because it did a good job cleaning my hair, and didn't give me an allergic reaction. Not realizing how much it was affecting the health of my hair. I was over 50--figured dryness and some thinnning were par for the course at that point. When my old shampoo was discontinued, and I tried the natural one I use now, I was glad that I could use it without wheezing or scratching, so I was sold.

Now, 3 years later? My hair has done a complete turn around. It's no longer dry and 'crisp'. It's so much thicker that I have to use the largest clips available when I clip it back. All the old, damaged hair has grown out, and it's a difference of night and day.

Now, the hair problems I was having didn't happen overnight--only after decades of using cheap shampoo. And the 'cure' also took a couple of years, for the old hair to grow out and be replaced with healthy new hair.

Sure, cheap shampoo will clean your hair--but can be a problem if used year after year.

$7-9 a bottle for a nourishing product that takes as good care of my hair as this one and doesn't do longterm damage, is cheap when one considered the alternatve, IMO. I'd skimp somewhere else, to be able to afford good shampoo, if I had to.

• stephmc72
    16 years ago

For everyday shampooing/conditioning, I use Biolage, but a couple times a week I use Loreal Professional line. I get it from my hair salon. I love it, it smells good but it's pretty expensive. I dont use it regularly.

• Jodi_SoCal
    16 years ago

I use John Frieda's Brilliant Brunette shampoo and conditioner plus his Shine Shock. Love all his products but especially the Shine Shock!

Jodi-

• frostedc
    16 years ago

I like to try different brands of shampoo.
    Right now, I'm using Aussie Hair Insurance, and
    hubby is usng Dove sheer moisture.

• frostydays
    16 years ago

Herbal Essence and Sun Silk

• grammahony
    16 years ago

My shampoo is Biotera, by Naturelle, and my conditioner is made by the BennieFactor Products company. My hair salon carries it. The conditioner is called b-strong, the hair spray they have is called b-confident. They all smell so good. The shampoo stinks, but it's not the same company as the other products.
    Leslie

• fran1523
    16 years ago

I use a generic Paul Mitchell available at a beauty supply store. I swear it looks and smells like the real thing.

• Toni S
    16 years ago

Biolage or Redken Clear Moisture, because I keep up my cosmetology license and get supplies wholesale. I like several conditioners. Pantene works fine when I run out of Biolage.

• pump_toad
    16 years ago

I change from time to time but now I am using Matrix Color Smart shampoo and Biolage conditioner. I always use salon products.
    Lois

• Kathsgrdn
    16 years ago

Azzalea, I don't mean to argue but how do you nourish something that is dead? I realize you could have allergic reaction to the chemicals but if you look at the ingredient lists they are practically the same for expensive stuff as the cheap stuff. Vitamins and minerals do nothing to your hair.

• good36
    16 years ago

Add my name to kathsgrdn.
    Judy

• patti43
    16 years ago

I use TRESemme and Fuller Thicker Hair (boy I need that one). I love the TRES--makes my hair shiny. What I need is a wig!!

• linn_z
    16 years ago

I have stuff my DD gave me, (Pantene, John Frieda, etc.), stuff I get with coupons (Sunsilk etc) and shampoos for oily hair, no conditioner though. My hair is short, fine and thinning. I have to use hair gel, Suave, it's cheap but doesn't smell bad like some cheapos.

• vannie
    16 years ago

Tresemme shampoo and conditioner. Recommended by a beautician.

• wandam1
    16 years ago

I think I have Suave in the shower right now. I buy all different kinds, usually going by the fragrance that appeals to me at the time. I just love a steamy shower with luscious fragrances all around me. I have 4-5 other bottles of shampoo in my bathroom closet at the moment, all different.

BUT - I was browsing some random organic, natural, permaculture type blogs yesterday and found one where the woman was saying that she started just washing her hair without shampoo. I don't mean she was using the other natural alternatives, like baking soda(?) or something. She was just using plain warm water in the shower and massaging her scalp and gently rubbing her hair. She said that it did fine and that her hair seemed to have more body and maybe wasn't weighted down by product and chemicals. I don't know the length of her hair. I am thinking it was shoulder length or shorter. She went into more detail and said it a lot better than I am. It was interesting...something to think about. I think I may give that a try at some point, just to see.
    Wanda in South Texas

Here is a link that might be useful: The Bee Hive

• patti43
    16 years ago

Wanda, to me that'd be like taking a bath but not using soap. But--whatever floats her boat.

• grammahony
    16 years ago

You'd think it would become a greasy mess within a week.
    Leslie

• kathi_mdgd
    16 years ago

I'm like Kathsgrdn,i use the cheapest/whatever i find at the 99 cent store or on sale.I grew up poor and we washed our hair with ivory bar soap and rain water/springwater.We had no running water.I had a lot of hair then and i still have a head full of thick baby fine hair.Back then every so often we would rinse our hair with vinegar and water or add some lemon juice to the rinse water.In the summer time we actually stood out in the rain with our bar of soap and washed and rinsed our hair.No conditiones,no hair dryers,no curling irons.
    Kathi

• wandam1
    16 years ago

Ha! I never thought of that analogy, patti! That does make a point...

grammahony, I think she washed it every day. Apparently the oil didn't build up.

Since earlier, I was jumping from blog link to blog link and found one that said something like, " Today marks 4 weeks without using shampoo!". (Why am I suddenly finding blogs that talk about things like this?!) So I searched back to 4 wks. previously, and what this particular woman was doing, was using (rinse out) conditioner only. Using it as if it were shampoo. She sited a book all about caring for long, curly womens' hair. It gave all kinds advice for taming or enjoying your curls instead of fighting them. One of them was to just use conditioner. The blogger was thrilled with the great results she was getting.

Well, my hair is as straight as a board, and limp as a dishrag, so I won't be using that idea. But it just goes to show, I guess, that there are all kinds of solutions to various 'problems' and endeavors.
    Wanda in South Texas

Here is a link that might be useful: The Bee Hive

• angela_nor_calif
    16 years ago

I'm using Matrix Amplify shampoo and conditioner. I buy it when the liters are on sale. It smells really good.

• wildchild
    16 years ago

I switch between Pureology and Bumble&Bumble shampoo and conditioner which I buy at the salon.

At first the price was really hard to pay but I found I actually ended up saving money. I bought the Pureology products six months ago and paid I somewhere around $28 for the shampoo and $30 for the conditioner (one liter each). I still have well over a half bottle of each left. I get results using very little.

On the other hand I was spending about $10 per month or more for 8-12 oz bottles of drugstore shampoo and conditioner. I'm money ahead by twice.

• amicus
    16 years ago

I used Pantene for years but then it seemed like the conditioner stopped making my hair feel soft, so I switched to Fructis for now. My niece who is a hair dresser says we actually should be careful about using the great smelling products because they usually contain a lot of alcohol, but I just love the scent!

Just some trivia, my sister learned in med school that hair and nails are incorrectly sometimes referred to as being dead because there is no pain when they are cut. But that is simply because they contain no nerve cells.

• wanda_illinois
    16 years ago

I usually buy the Suave generics for the name brand shampoos.

• country_bumpkin_al
    16 years ago

I use Prell shampoo (and have for several years) and NO kind of conditioner comes near my hair! Even the stuff that's not suppose to weight it down..does!

• lydia1959
    16 years ago

We are still using the Biolage I bought about a year ago when Beauty Brands had the liter for 9.95 sale. The next sale I really hope to get some of the Healthy Sexy Hair Pumpkin shampoo because it smells so delicious.

I usually just buy cheap brands of shampoo, but if I can get the good stuff at a discount I'll buy it instead. My hair is so short right now that I only need a dime sized glob of shampoo anyhow.

No conditioner here either.

• caflowerluver
    16 years ago

Lets set the record straight, hair is indeed DEAD! I have read a number of articles that say that is a fact. By the time it is emerges from your scalp, the protein is dead. It really doesn't matter what shampoo you use as long as it isn't too harsh and it was designed for hair. As in, don't use dish soap to wash your hair. The only thing that matters is what you put into your body, not what you put on your hair. Here is a good article on the care of your hair.
    Clare

• wildchild
    16 years ago

Clare is right. Hair is dead. So are nails. There are no living cells in hair or fingernails. DEAD.

• kruth
    16 years ago

I am currently using Sunsilk volumizing shampoo and conditioner.

Did anyone see the letter in newspapers to Dr. Gott about Tresemme Silk Protein Healthy Volume shampoo and Tresemme Vitamin E Conditioner for damaged hair a couple of months ago? A woman had written to Dr. Gott saying that her husband had started using her shampoo,conditioner (by Tresemme) and his thinning hair had greatly improved and he was now growing new hair. Interesting.

• lyndy_pa
    16 years ago

I used to think there was no difference between "cheap" shampoo/conditioner and the more expensive kind. BUT, there is a BIG difference. I use Pureology when I can get it, I usually have to buy it on line. I also like Biolage. There is a huge difference in my hair by using good shampoo/conditioner. You do need nutients to keep your hair shiny and healthy looking. I would never use Suave, although my DH does, LOL! He doesn't have much hair though.

• FlamingO in AR
    16 years ago

I buy Pantene, so we both use that. Shampoo and conditioner, every other night. Woody shampoos daily.

• ashli
    16 years ago

Pantene is my favorite, so far. I have long hair and have to use a conditioner. ( conditioners that you don't care for can be used to shave your legs, leaves skin soft)...I used to buy the small trial-size bottles of different shampoos to experiment and Pantene was /is the best. I want to buy Tresemme next and sample it...sounds good.