SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
azzalea_gw

Do you/would you allow the power company

azzalea
12 years ago

to install a 'smart meter' on your property?

There's no way I would. Luckily, at the country house--where we'll be moving in just a couple of months--that probably won't come up. That city has it's own little electric company, and they're not to terribly high tech.

But I would NEVER have a smart meter on my property. They're extremely dangerous. My husband works for one of the bit utility companies. He's aware that the smart meters emit dangerous levels of radiation within 600 feet of the meter--unless you live in a huge mantion, that covers most people's entire home and property.

I know a lot of folks don't worry too much about radiation--but we're well aware of how dangerous it can be. In his early 30's, my husband was told he had thyroid cancer, and had to have his thyroid removed. Luckily, that diagnosis was wrong--the nodule on his thyroid turned out to be benign. His cousin wasn't so lucky--she WAS diagnosed with thyroid cancer and died after a 10 year fight (being treated at Sloan-Kettering). In both cases, the thyroid problems were caused by X-ray treatments they'd received as children. In both cases, they had conditions that NEEDED to be treated as children and this was the accepted treatment at the time.

I try to avoid unnecessary X-rays whenever possible. No way I'd live in a home where I was constantly being bombarded by extra radiation, just so my power company could have the convenience of remotely reading my meter AND taking control of my power use away from me.

Thoughts?

Comments (32)