SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cinnamonsworld_gw

Would you hold an estate sale yourself or hire a company? Why?

cinnamonsworld
16 years ago

Hi. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on estate sales and any experience doing them, as DIY projects vs. hiring an estate sale company.

Also, if you shop estate sales, any preferences or pointers one way or the other?

I have a month on-premises to clear out a three-bedroom house, in another state, that I inherited. It isn't cluttered and there aren't high-$ antiques, just decent, clean mid-level furniture, dishes, etc.

I'm tempted to place the ads, do the estimating and tagging, and hold the estate sale myself with a good family friend who's a garage sale maven and great with that stuff. I figure if we get it held by the middle of the month, then that gives me two weeks as a contingency to move unsold furniture to consignment stores etc.

I recognize the professional estate sales companies would be a great convenience, but am tempted to think that because these belongings aren't super-high-end ... just 'nice' :) ... and because I have a friend who'd be good at this who could help... we could do it. And I'm somewhat unthrilled by the lack of control that a person has when things are done through an estate sale company... like the selling of worthwhile stuff for little $ at the end because they get a %.

So anyway, thoughts welcome.

Also thoughts on how you'd suggest remunerating the friend who's helping... say it's her time 9am-3pm for two days and we each do about half the work.

I was thinking maybe a percentage up to a certain $. But what would you recommend, for a % or $ or both? (And of course, might work out dibs on some nice items as part of that.)

Comments (22)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH