SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nelbelmom

Painting Exterior Aluminum Siding

nelbelmom
13 years ago

I've been doing my homework and researching how to paint Aluminum siding. I know I have to clean and scrub it prior to painting. I know I have to use an oil based primer, because Latex contains amomia, which oxydizes when in contact with aluminum (even Alcoa says this). I know I'm supposed to thin the primer before using it, because it will fill and absorb better. I also keep seeing recommendations about tinting it to be closer to the final color. Everything I've read says to paint a top layer over it within 48 hours.

But nobody actually mentions a brand name that is recommended?

I stopped in at Sherwin Williams and they recommended a primer for aluminum that has to be used within 8 hours of opening the lid, and painted with an overcoat within 4 hours, which cannot be tinted (since it is green) and is not supposed to be thinned (it makes it dry even faster apparently). So, this sounds nothing like what is recommended by all the sites on the web. It is also $85 a gallon. So, I'm frustrated at the moment.

Also, most of the recommendations say to use a Latex top coat with very high Resin content, but someone else says his professional business uses an acrylic paint which works extremely well.

So, I would really appreciate it if someone can manage to actually give me some paint manufacturer's names. I want to do this once and do it right, and have it last as long as possible. So, I'm okay if it is expensive, but I don't want to waste time, effort, and money.

Thanks!

Comment (1)