SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
synrgystyk

Too Many Paint Choices! Please Help!

synrgystyk
10 years ago

I need to paint the exterior, covered front porch -- floor, ceiling, columns, etc.-- on our old house (transitional sort-of-Victorian with some Colonial elements).

Aside from color choice there's also the conundrum of latex vs. oil, and which paint brand. I've been doing lots of reading here on paint, and have checked the paint reviews on Consumer Reports' site. So far it looks like I should go with a latex acrylic?

I'm leaning towards Home Depot's Behr Premium Plus over SW Duration based on CR's reviews and the significant price difference. However, SW has a 30% off sale through Monday, so the cost difference would be less of an issue if I got the SW this weekend.

So does anyone have any input on paint brands? Latex vs. oil? I'm planning to prime everything (after scraping, etc.) with an oil primer because I don't know what's on there now. FWIW, the SW store is convenient, as is Lowes (both 5-10 min away); HD is about 20 min; and the "local" Benjamin Moore is about 30 min. I think KMart (it's close) also sells paint, but I can't get Pittsburgh Paints locally anymore.

I've done plenty of interior painting, but haven't painted anything exterior since I was a kid (and that was the pasture fence), so I'm trying to come up to speed so I can make an informed choice.

Anyway, thanks for your assistance and input.
Lorree

Comments (2)