SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cursivesailor

Front Yard Design help

cursivesailor
15 years ago

I already posted this over at GardenWeb, but I know some of yall love to play with photoshop. And no one on the GardenWeb boards has really responded. Can anyone help me?

Please help me with the design of my front yard flower-beds. I am kinda clueless with landscape design and I need to give the contractor the layout soon.

We are building a house and the contractor wants me to set up the outline of my flower beds. So that he can sod up to it and add garden soil to the beds. I don't have it in the budget to have it professionally landscaped, so I will be doing it myself shortly after we move in. With the help of a family friend who is a florist and plant-guru.

The house is set back 20 feet from the sidewalk, which is what our neighborhood requires. Most houses in other areas of the city are much, much closer to the street. We are in New Orleans, the lots are small and everyone is on top of each other. To some that don't live in such an urban setting it might feel cramped, but our lot is actually one of the bigger lots in our area, by the lake, at 58 wide and 120 deep.

We are planning on putting a porch swing on the top and on the bottom porches, on the side opposite the stairs. The front yard will have a little white picket fence and the back yard will have a 7 foot privacy fence. The front door will be painted brick red and we are going to be putting up black shutters, if that helps with the color scheme.

Also, since we are a corner lot, we really cant have anything too big close to the sidewalk because it would make seeing around the corner difficult while driving.

Here's a picture of the house... Thanks so much for any advice!

Comments (2)