SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
freezetag

Ways to ease the stress of sharing a room

freezetag
15 years ago

Anyone have any ideas for giving siblings who share a room some privacy?

We have four kids, in a 4-bedroom house. The kids have one very large bedroom, and two normal-sized ones. Originally, our oldest dd (13) had the large bedroom, and her younger brothers (11 and 8) had the other two. When our youngest dd (5) was born, dd13 immediately said she would share her room, which worked out well for a few years. Then, when she started middle school, she was annoyed by dd5's toys and clutter, and didn't need a giant bedroom for her own things. Ds11 really loved his room and was reluctant to leave it, but the dd13 lobbied endlessly until he agreed to move into the large bedroom with dd8, leaving the smaller bedrooms for the girls.

I would like to help ds11, because he has a strong need for privacy. I know he regrets the move and wishes he had a place to go where no one would bother him (which I understand! I have that desire too) The large room doesn't really lend itself to being split up, as it is rectangular and the door and closet are at one corner (plus dh is adamant about not splitting the room, because he says that in case of a fire, the perimeter of the room would be searched and nothing beyond). So I am trying to figure out how to carve out some private space for ds - hoping someone here has already figure this out :)

Comments (4)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH