SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
moonie_57

Ideas on how to get DS help?

moonie_57 (8 NC)
14 years ago

Just a little background info... DS, now 26 and a single father, has had back problems since he was about 18. He has basically just suffered through but in the beginning was able to see a chiropractor from time to time.

He was told that his tailbone was not properly fused and that he has several discs that slip and swell. I don't know much about those kind of back problems, and since he has been on his own since he graduated HS, I have never been to the DR. with him to fully understand the problem.

He has no health insurance and never has the money to see the Dr. when his back starts acting up. But the past year he has had more and more problems and some days he can barely walk. I haven't seen him stand up straight in a very long time.

Social Services told him he was not eligible for any medicaid. From what he told me, he needs to have several thousand $$$ in Dr bills to qualify. In the past month he has gone to the ER twice. The steroids take down the swelling and he can function somewhat better for awhile, then it flares up again.

I have made many calls trying to find an organization or a Dr. that will help him. So far nothing. We live in a rural area, over an hour away from the city. I feel like in a bigger city there would probably be someplace, but that city is also a different state. I'm thinking that would cause a problem in it's self.

Anyone have a suggestion?

Comments (18)