SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_459360

A New Roof With Hip and Ridge Tiles From Louisiana

User
11 years ago

I have been researching roof tiles for more than a year. Our roof was in fairly good shape---no leaks---but most of it was 22 years old and the shingles were getting brittle in places. We have one north facing roof plane that is like a moss factory, and like most older roofs it had unattractive streaks of dark mildew. A wood roof was going to double our homeowner's insurance policy.Yes, double, and we live 20 min. away from our all volunteer fire department,so that idea was a non-starter. A metal roof did not go with the style of the house, so we were back to asphalt shingles. I found one manufacturer that uses a 20 year guaranteed against mildewing product by 3M on their shingles (Atlas Pinnacle Pristine). Their darkest color was not a true black, but the shingles themselves are about a half-inch bigger than the standard size for architectural shingles. Anyway, looking through the internet for pictures of this particular shingle and color led me to sites in Louisiana of roofing companies that use concrete tiles made there in the state on roof ridges and hip lines. I absolutely loved the look, and contacted one of the roofing companies. The nice man answered back with the name of the manufacturer of the tiles, Hecker Ridge Tiles of New Orleans, and they couldn't have been nicer or more helpful. I showed the pictures to our local roofer, showed him the installation videos that are on youtube, and he was as enthusiastic as I was. The tiles were shipped, and about two weeks later we have a beautiful new roof!

I've tried to post photos that show the hip and ridge tiles. Here is a picture from Premier South Roofing in Shreveport that convinced me to go with the tile detail:

Comments (17)