SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_129235

Can a plain colonial pull off red siding?

Boopadaboo
10 years ago

My siding is about 20 years old and we are thinking of putting a room over our garage and residing the rest of the house at the same time.

For some reason I have been drawn to red. Our neighborhood is pretty much all the same kind of house (minor variations) on 1-3 acre lots. Most of the houses are pretty close to the road. Ours is set back. Only one has been redone, so far and It came out great. They did a mix of shake look and long siding and stone where we have brick and up the middle to the top. They did the house in brownish green. Most of the houses in this neighborhood are white or tan or grey.

After I had started saving pictures of red houses I looked up the fung shui for the heck of it and it said yellow or red for the position of our house.

Ideally we would keep the brick, replace the siding wiht red siding, paint the trim white or cream (DH and I are debating that) and not replace the shudders.

I think to do that we might have to beef up the trim? any other suggestions? Is a red house strange? There are some around here but it is not common.

All the other houses in the neighborhood have shutters. Would it be strange to be the only house without them?
In the next 5 or so years we would probably have to do the roof too. I would probably make it black at that time.

A couple of pics I have pinned...

This post was edited by boopadaboo on Sun, Feb 23, 14 at 16:20

Comments (43)