SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gwlolo

Cake Lessons - 101

gwlolo
10 years ago

I made my first proper cake this weekend. Meaning it was not a cup cake and did not come out of a box and had homemade icing etc. With help from this forum I baked cupcakes a couple weeks back my DD's girl scout troop which was a big hit and I decided to bake cake for my DD's birthday party.

I needed cake for 40 people so I made two 9'' layer cakes and supplemented with a polenta cake for adults who will not eat frosting. I learned several things in the process :)

Here is my list of cake lessons from my weekend saga.

1) Baking cakes takes a long time. Prep, bake, cool, make frosting, frost the cake, cool to set the frosting happens over long duration. It took me most of sat and sunday to make all the 3 cakes.

2) Cake baking is chemistry.. Meaning there is a point of no return that one needs to be aware of and avoid. A mere few degrees of heat separate glossy luscious lemon curd from lemon scrambled eggs.

3) Some rescue is possible. When the frosting gets too hard in the fridge, you can heat 1/3 of it in the microwave and remix to get it to righ consistency.

4) Temprature is important. I used my thermapen more than I ever have. Butter has to just the right temperature, the eggs need to cook to a certain temperature.The frosting has to be cool enough to not be oozy but warm enough to spread smothly and not take off chunks of cake. My kitchen was cool but under the halogen lights of the vent hood it was much warm.

5) Frosting is makeup - A smooth well applied foundation is important but any imperfections like the pimple or the broken off cake bit can be repaired with decorations. Frosting has to be the right temperature and freshly whipped to go on. A good cake is soft with a fine crumb and the good frosting is smooth and glossy but crumb sticks to the frosting!! So it took me some tries to figure out that it is easier to start with more frosting and take off the excess. Also when you are piping you might need to chill your hands or the frosting. The right tools like the offset spatula have the right angle and pressure/ yield helps. Also disposable icing bags are a good thing.

6) Cutting even layers is very very hard. I fortunately had a good turn table that I use for arts and crafts. A bread knife and the base of the tart pan were very helpful.

7) It is helpful to read and re-read the entire recipe a couple of times. I did not realize that the custard base for the frosting needs to be cooled before the butter cream is made. That was an additional couple of hours I had not planned for.

8) Plan upfront on how to transport cakes. I did not have a box for cakes and we jerry rigged something with large parchment sections with a bit of double sided tape in a larger plastic box. I had the cake on my lap and held the pachment paper edges to prevent the cake from slidin around.

9) Make sure your scale has batteries. We needed to make a midnight run to get AAA batteries or the scale so that I could weigh 269gms of sugar.

10) Finally a dishwasher and a cleanupper who is cheerful and unfazed is very helpful. DH did not complain about washing the same cake pan 3 times in a day.

1) LEMON LAYER CAKE with Lemon Buttercream Frosting

In retrospective, this was one of the harder cakes and probably not the best for a first time baker. My daughter loves lemon and I chose this without understanding the complexity of the recipe. 17 eggs overall!! You use zest of lemon, make lemon curd, make a custard base and then use both in the buttercream frosting. There is white chocolate in the cake batter and in the frosting.

One of the layers with lemon curd to spread.

Finished Cake with the butter cream frosting. The butter cream frosting actually had a custard base that needed to be prepared and cooled and then blended in with the buttercream frosting along with some of the lemon curd. The frosting was silky smooth and tasted really divine. The lemon is a good marriage with the white chocolate.

CARROT CAKE with White Chocalate Cream Cheese Frosting
Recipe from Rose Levy Berenbaum's Heavenly Cakes Book
Two cakes baked, unmolded and cooling

Melting chocolate worked very very well in my panasonic invertor microwave

Finished Cake with the white chocolate cream cheese frosting. The piping is the same white chocolate cream cheese frosting. The roses were my backup decorations from Wilton in case I couldn't get the piping to work. The pressure is high when it is your kid's birthday you have never used piping bags before.

3) For 3rd cake, I made a healthier Polenta cake with Pine nuts and Figs and Raisins from Marcella Hazan's classic italian book. I posted more details in the Marcella Hazan thread. This cake is wonderful the next day with a cup of Earl Grey :)

Comments (23)