SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
iramos_gw

Need countertop suggestions to warm up my kitchen

iramos
16 years ago

My total gut remodel will begin in April - yipee! I will be ordering my cabinets this weekend. But, I'm not sure what to do about the counter tops.

My cabinets will be white bead board style. I will have white subway tile backsplash and ceramic tile floors (haven't picked those out yet - want something reddish but not dark). My dream was to have butcher block counters, but my island will be a bit big (4' x 8') so that might be too much wood there. (It will house the sink and dishwasher). DH is wary of the whole wood idea - he likes Corian for it's practicality. I'm open to Corian too. My dilemma is that I really want to keep the kitchen "warm" and country feeling.

1) Should I have all three counter tops (I have a straight kitchen with 3 parallel surfaces (island in the middle) the same?

2) Do I change the cabinetry for the island to a medium wood color? (paint is not an option). What about the top?

3) While I don't like the coldness of granite, I like the heat resistance of it (the island is the middle point between the oven and range, so it would be nice to be able to plop down baking sheets on it). So, which color would you suggest if I were to do granite on the island and either corian or wood on the outer counters?

I would love to hear anyone's ideas how I should mix this up, or not at all!

Thanks!

Comments (4)