SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jane_o

warming up a kitchen w/ stainless steel counters?

jane-o
16 years ago

We've been going round and round the mulberry bush on countertop materials, but my current view is that I'd like stainless steel (I'll list the reasons below, but that's not really the point of this post, so I'll get to the point first). DH is concerned that if we have stainless countertops the kitchen will look cold and industrial. I'm wondering if there's a way to reassure him that it won't.

FWIW we're planning a glass tile backsplash, and our appliances don't have to have stainless fronts: our range will be a bluestar 36" that we could get a colored panel for, we're planning on a blackboard panel for the fridge, and there's no reason we couldn't do something non-stainless for the dishwasher. Our floor will be wood. Does that sound cold-looking overall to people if the counters were stainless steel? If not, why not? (Or if so, why so?) Any suggestions for things we could do to make it warmer?

Thanks! (reasons I currently favor stainless below)

I want a countertop that's not dark, and the light-colored granites/other stones all seem to depend on good sealing for keeping stain-free. I'd rather not worry about that. None of the light-colored engineered stone (silestone etc) patterns seem quite perfect, and lately salespeople have been scaring me with the idea that light-colored engineered stone will need sealing eventually too. Tile has grout that's a pain to clean. Cement cracks and is dependent on sealant. Glass countertop seems perfect: no need to seal and won't have to worry about stains, but it's extremely expensive, and I imagine hard to repair if it gets chipped. It's true that stainless scratches, but I don't think scratches would bother me - whereas stains would. We're already planning to have stainless on one side of the kitchen (where the sink is, so it can be integrated), but there's a lot of countertop on the other side, too. But I'm less interested in revisiting this debate (since I feel like I've been around the pros and cons of everything a zillion times) than I am in hearing about whether people think a stainless countertop would be cold-looking. (I've looked in the finished kitchens blog, but most of them only seem to use it for part of the kitchen - though baxawax has quite a bit of it, and it seems to look fine.) thanks!

Comments (19)