SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tracey_oh

October New Recipes

Tracey_OH
11 years ago

I apologize if there is already a thread going....I searched back to the September threads and didn't see one. Here's my latest find. Apple Cider Doughnut Cake. On a whim I bought some spiced apple cider from Trader Joe's then searched for a recipe to use it all as I was the only person actually drinking the cider! This recipe used a method I've never tried before. Cooking the apples in the cider then pureeing them for the cake. So basically making an applesauce. The cake is covered with a cinnamon sugar mixture which we liked but I think a cinnamon glaze would put it over the top!!

Apple Cider Doughnut Cake

from Serious Eats

For the Cake:

9 tablespoons (4 1/2 ounces) unsalted butter, at room temperature

1 large Granny Smith apple (about 8 ounces), peeled, cored, and roughly chopped

1 1/2 cups apple cider

1/2 cup milk, at room temperature

2 1/2 cups (about 12 1/2 ounces) all-purpose flour

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1/4 teaspoon ground mace

3/4 cup (about 5 1/4 ounces) sugar

1/2 cup (about 3 1/2 ounces) packed light brown sugar

3 large eggs, at room temperature

1/4 cup vegetable oil

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

For the Cinnamon Sugar Coating

6 tablespoons granulated sugar

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1/8 teaspoon salt

Procedures

For the Cake: Adjust oven rack to middle position and preheat oven to 350�F. Grease Bundt pan with 1 tablespoon butter.

In medium saucepan, bring chopped apple and cider to boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until most of the cider has been absorbed and apples are easily smashed with a fork, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove pan from heat, cool 5 minutes, then pulse in food processor until pureed. Measure out 1 cup apple mixture and stir in milk; set aside.

In medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, and mace; set aside.

In large bowl, beat remaining 8 tablespoons butter, sugar, and brown sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add oil and beat until incorporated, about 1 minute.

Decrease mixer speed to low and add flour mixture in three batches, alternating with apple mixture, scraping down sides and bottom of bowl with rubber spatula as needed. Increase speed to medium and beat mixture just until combined, about 20 seconds. Add vanilla and beat once more, just to combine, about 10 seconds.

Scrape batter into prepared pan. Bake until cake tester inserted in cake comes out clean, rotating cake halfway through baking, 30 to 35 minutes total. Transfer cake to cooling rack set inside baking sheet and cool in pan 10 minutes, then invert directly onto cooling rack.

For the Cinnamon Sugar Coating: Combine sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt in small bowl. Sprinkle warm cake with cinnamon sugar, using fingers to rub it onto sides.

Cool cake completely, about 1 hour.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!