SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
freezetag

Picked on by others!

freezetag
15 years ago

I posted earlier about my 10 yo son's moodiness Gloomy, Tearful... . So ds has been seeing a family therapist for a few months, and things at home are better. He seems more open, better about talking to us when he's angry, etc. However, he is still having trouble at school. He has been upset after school occasionally throughout the year, but in the beginning of the year his teacher told me that he never acted as if anything was bothering him. Last week she told me that he started crying in school a couple of times, and is very withdrawn.

He tells me that the other kids insult him and don't let him join in at recess. I asked what he does when this happens, and he said nothing. Since he is an older brother, we have always told him to ignore his younger siblings' bad behavior, (and that of other kids, as well) but now that he seems to be becoming a target, I think he needs to change tactics, or the other kids will just continue to pick on him. He said that no one does anything physical, just teasing. Should I advise him to look the teasing child(s) in the eye and tell him to lay off?? I don't want him to be aggressive, but it seems like being passive is just encouraging the kids to continue. I know kids tease each other, but I really feel that he is becoming depressed and am worried that when he starts middle school (in the fall), it will get worse. When my older daughter had trouble with a boy who was picking on her, I told her to ask her friends to stick up for her whenever they saw him bothering her, and that worked well. But my ds's best friend is a small child who is not very assertive, and I'm not sure how much contact they will have once in middle school - depends on class scheduling.

Of course, I will ask his therapist to give him some ideas, but I'm open to any suggestions if anyone has a strategy that has worked.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!