SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
flatcoat2004

I think this remodel has ruined me ;-)

flatcoat2004
16 years ago

I will never be able to look at the world the same way again. Three times yesterday, I was shocked at things I would never previously have noticed ...

1. sitting next to a wall in a conference room, I looked at the wall. Horrible roller marks and I could see the brushstrokes from cutting in under the trim. Never noticed THAT before !

2. at a friend's place for dinner (they recently bought an apartment that had been "flipped", with new builder-grade kitchen cabinets, thoughtless design and poor workmanship). Noticed the 1/16" gap between bottom of cabinet uppers and lightrail, which allowed the undercabinet light to shine through the gap. Ick. Never noticed THAT before !

3. I am staying at a medium-nice hotel for a couple days while the builder finishes interior painting and floors. Hotel lobby floor is 12"x12" marble tile with some nice inlay patterns. When I was exiting the elevator this morning though, I saw a glaringly obvious (to me) row of tile that had been trimmed to fill a gap, stretching probably 40' across the entire lobby, in the middle of the field, and directly in front of you as you walk out of the elevator. The trimmed tiles were field tiles, butted against the edge of an inlay, and they varied from about 2" wide to about 6" wide at the far end, so REALLY noticeably un-square. Looked like one tiler had started from one end of the lobby, and another tiler had started from the opposite end, without having common reference lines. It made me sad that such a nice picture was kind of ruined like this. I would never have noticed anything like this before !

Do you think this is temporary, and I will go back to my former obliviousness ? Or am I now stuck in this new world ?

Comments (16)