SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
virginia7074

Can I marry and freeze Texas sheet cake and Buckeye cake??

Virginia7074
13 years ago

I'm making 3 Buckeye cakes for a Halloween party on Friday and would like to make them all in 9 x 13 pans, instead of in 15 x 10 panx, per the recipe. (If I end up using 15 x 10 pans, I'll make 2 instead of 3.) The Buckeye cakes are in lieu of the 12 dozen Buckeyes I normally make for this party.

I found a recipe that uses a boxed devil's food cake, which is OK, but I really love Texas sheet cake. I'm thinking that I'd rather that as the base. Either way, do you think I could get away with using the 9 x 13 pans?

I'm also wondering if they'll freeze well. If not, I could make them Wednesday or Thursday night, but I have some other things to make, too. So what do you think - 9 x 13 or 10 x 15? To freeze or not to freeze?

Here's the Buckeye cake recipe.

Buckeye Cake (from Taste at Home's website)

First Layer

1 box, (2-layer size) Betty Crocker SuperMoist Devil's Food cake mix

1-1/3 cups water

1/2 cup vegetable oil

3 eggs

Second Layer

2 cups sugar

1/2 cup milk

1-1/3 cups smooth peanut butter

1 jar (7 oz.) marshmallow cr�me

Third Layer

1 stick (1/2 cup) butter

1/4 cup Hershey�s cocoa

1/3 cup milk

1 lb. confectioners� sugar

1/4 tsp. vanilla

Grease and flour a 15 X 11-inch jellyroll pan. Preheat oven to 350�.

First layer: Prepare cake as directed on box, using water, oil, and eggs for the ingredients. Pour mixture into pan. Bake 20-22 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool completely,

Second layer: In a saucepan, bring sugar and milk to a boil. Boil 3 minutes. Add peanut butter and marshmallow cr�me; mix well. Quickly pour on top of cooled cake. Spread evenly. Cool completely.

Third layer: In a medium saucepan, melt butter, cocoa and milk together. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat and add confectioners� sugar and vanilla. Stir completely. Pour icing on top of cooled peanut butter layer. Cool completely before cutting.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner