SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
april2929

Seeking opinions on cabinet overhaul

april2929
16 years ago

I am the proud owner of a not-so-lovely all-original 1978 kitchen in my townhouse. I have about a $3K budget to overhaul the entire kitchen (not including appliances, which I have already replaced). I plan to live in it for two more years and then sell and move to a bigger place. My plan is to paint or reface the cabinets, new flooring, new laminate on the counters, replace the sink & faucet & lighting.

What I am stumped on is the cabinets. The boxes are solid sturdy plywood, further uglified by that awful fake mahogany finish that looks like dirty plastic to me. The doors are plywood with off-white Formica glued to the front. The doors edges are cut an a 45 degree angle with the larger side facing out. I hate the brass hinges too, but they are angled to fit the doors and I haven't seen anything modern that will fit them.

I would like to go for a two-tone look, the lower cabs being painted or over-stained espresso, and the uppers either painted or stained or veneer-faced with a lighter tone (like maple or bamboo). And I want modern door pulls. I am just unsure how to proceed with these doors! I don't know that new doors is an option, as I have a G-shaped kitchen with LOTS of doors and drawer fronts. I don't know whether to pull off the laminate and try to paint or reface, or simply paint over the laminate...? And what to do about the hinges? I love euro/hidden hinges but I doubt that's an option if I keep the doors. I hate the brass hinges. I am open to any ideas. (I will try to post pictures).

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

April in OR

Comments (11)