SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
girlndocs

Valspar from Lowes

girlndocs
14 years ago

I wanted to talk about my experience with this paint because I notice most of the discussion is about higher end paints. There's no problem with that and I'm sure a lot of the higher end paints are better, but not everyone has that budget. In my case I rent, and while I'd scrimp and save to get excellent paint for my own house I'm not going to spend $60 per gallon so my landlord can have some someone come in and spray flat cream builder's special over all of it as soon as I move out.

Anyway, I'm really happy with how it performed. I used the interior satin and the interior/exterior high gloss. The satin was nearly odorless, the gloss a little more stinky but not suffocatingly so. A week after I painted my backsplash with the satin, my husband splattered some spaghetti sauce on it washing the dishes (well, that *is* why they call it a backsplash), and it wiped off beautifully with no stains or burnishing. It touched up really well in another part of the house where I had to spackle, too. Good coverage with white over avocado green (one coat of primer).

I did my cabinet doors in the gloss, and the balance between open time and cure time worked perfectly for me: it stays really, really wet for much longer than I expected but once it starts to dry it kind of locks down really fast and is hard to the touch very quickly. I have cats, which makes painting finish-sensitive projects a fraught venture: first some cat hair drifted onto a door 5 or 10 minutes after I painted it and settled down into the paint, but the paint was still so open that I was able to pick the hair out and smooth the spot over with my wet brush, and it self leveled again perfectly. I can't tell where the hair was. Then after the doors had been drying for about 10 hours my cat jumped onto one of them and left dirty footprints all over it and I freaked out. But I was able to use a slightly damp rag to wipe and buff away every bit of that dirt and the finish didn't change at all. If it's this durable in the kitchen, I'm going to be thrilled.

Every once in a while Lowes has a sale on Valspar that involves a $5 rebate. I got my paint with this rebate so I think it cost me $22 per gallon.

Comments (33)