SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
toadangel

need advice on bathroom paint - dark walls & textured ceiling

toadangel
16 years ago

hi - i am in the middle of a bathroom remodel (see my blog page below if you're interested) and we are ready to prime/paint. we have new drywall on about half of the walls & ceiling, and i assume builder's white on the other walls & ceiling.

our new "ceiling" is really a big soffit of sorts, over our tub and a skinny "beam" where the 2 rooms used to be divided. we did it this way so that we wouldn't have to match the texture on the original ceiling... plus it adds some character. this new ceiling is flat new drywall.

the original ceiling is textured - not popcorn/cottage cheese, but more like they put wet drywall mud up there & smooshed it with something round, then pulled the round thing off & left some peaks & valleys. not sure what that's called... but we figure it should be repainted to look cohesive, but i don't know if that needs to be sprayed, if i can do it cleanly diy or if a pro should do it. i am having a pro do my living room/hall/kitchen walls because of all the different cutting in & heights it requires, so i'll have him in the house anyway.

ceilings & "beam" will be some kind of white; walls will be dark blue.

so that was another question... i bought the zinsser bulls eye primer, at least for the first coat. should i get a tinted primer & do a second coat of primer since it's new drywall? or just the zinsser?

i found my blue at lowes, so i thought i'd go ahead & use valspar... do i just ask for mildew-cide in it?

thanks!

lisa

here's a glimpse of the new & old ceilings

Here is a link that might be useful: my bathrooms forum blog

Comment