SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
janieo_gw

painting pros advise needed, Michael and others

janieo
16 years ago

I am having trouble communicating to my painter the feel I want for my new interior woodwork ( combinations of paint grade alder for cabinets and douglas fir for doorway doors). I have a 70 year old cottage style house in southern CA. The original woodwork is oil based brushed and we love it. We love both the satiny feel and the understated brush strokes. My painter said that in order to duplicate what I have I can only use oil based paint which will yellow. He also said that I should look at a house he just finished. It was one of those huge custom houses with high wood celings and wood paneling in almost every room.

Even though it was real wood it looked and felt like plastic. The surround areas of the cabients were not perfectly smooth although the cabinet doors were... The paneling and door frames were also not the same satiny smooth finish that is in my house.There was a slightly bumpy or roughish quality as opposed to satin smooth. What does all this mean and am I being realistic in thinking he can recreate the traditional paint job presently in my house?

Thanks so much for your help. He wants to start the job soon....

Janie O

Comments (8)