SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
berlin66_gw

Calling Michael and other painting pros

berlin66
17 years ago

I am getting the impression after a search that I may be beating a dead horse, but please bear with me. I am going to be painting my kitchen cabs black (80's builder grade, oak, recessed panel). I thought at first this was not going to be complicated and was preparing to tackle the job head on. However, upon further research on the task I have become a little apprehensive (perhaps I was too blissfully happy in my ignorance) and am now full of questions. I am not expecting a perfect flat, shiny acrylic-like appearance, however, I do want them to look nice and I am willing to take the time it needs to accomplish the best finish possible. Could you please educate me on what would be the best way to prep the cabs and fronts, what grade sand paper should I use and how much do I sand? I would like them to be smooth without too much wood grain (I know that perfectly smooth is impossible, I can only work with what I have). What primer do I use? Should it be tinted? What is the best type of paint? I was going to use oil, but now I wonder....I will be using a brush and rolling on the flat recessed panels. Is there a better brush and roller to use to eliminate as many lines as possible? Is there a certain primer/paint combo that will make this task easier? Am I dreaming? Is it necessary to use a poly finishing coat, or are there other options to consider? As for sheen, I don't want flat, but not a high gloss either. Something soft that will look nice but will help hide all the imperfections that will undoubtedly be there upon closer inspection.

I have gone from blissfully ignorant to stressed out. TIA for any suggestions, pearls of wisdom and expert advice offered.

Comments (6)