SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mrsbungaloonie

Help! Need an autobody painter to paint kitchen cabinets.

MrsBungaloonie
12 years ago

Hi,

I just joined Garden Web, but have long been a fan of everyone's postings on here. So, hi!

My husband and I have just purchased our first house. A really pretty Spanish bungalow that needs EVERYTHING fixed.

We are on a very tight budget but are hard workers and very resourceful.

My sister lives in Toronto and she has long been getting ugly but otherwise useful, cabinet doors painted at an auto body shop. She's been doing this for years. She always uses her own custom colors and choice of finish and they always come out looking like GORGEOUS, factory finish, custom doors, and she pays between 15 and 20 bucks a door. She has her own "girlie compressor" and sprays the boxes herself.

Naturally when I told her about my ugly fake dark wood laminate cabinet doors and our super crazy low budget of $1000 to restore the 70's kitchen back to its bungalow roots, she told me to get out there and find an auto body shop and to make sure they use "the box" (LOL!).

You can imagine my disappointment when I called all over the Los Angeles area and got only feedback like, "That can't be done", "You called the wrong guys, call cabinet makers"(who are quadruple the price), or my personal favorite, "What? Paint what? This is an auto body shop lady!"

Please, in the name of all first time home buyers everywhere, does ANYONE know a place in the Los Angeles area who will spray my heinous cabinet doors a lovely light vintage blue-grey?...Anybody?

Thank you!

Comments (22)