SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cisco2000

Kitchen Cabinet Painting - Airless or HVLP Sprayer

cisco2000
15 years ago

Getting close to actually putting some paint on the kitchen cabs after much sanding and already acquired a Graco Airless and small tip (313) for the job. For one new cab addition, I primed before install using my neighbors cheapo Wagner HVLP. The Wagner actually was very controllable and did a decent job, just delivered the paint too slowly. A bit daunted with the airless where I expect the delivery rate problem will be at the other end of the spectrum...1/4 GPM shooting out of the gun. Figured I could gain some mastery in the garage while priming the shelves and doors. That said, I assume the original painter used by the builder had some experience but, using an airless, did pretty poorly at covering routing detail/edges and "flooded" a few spots.

While at the HW store today to pick up a few more sanding sponges, talking to the paint guy about cabinet painting, another customer (I believe a pro painter) advocated a multi turbine HVLP as the best way to go for a cabinet paint job. I did like the way the HVLP covered detail work.

Appreciate any opinions on airless versus a good HVLP for a cabinet job!!!

Comments (11)