SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
teeda

Have You Ever Taken an Upholstery Class?

teeda
10 years ago

I have been wanting to learn upholstery for a long time, as I'm always finding amazing pieces of furniture that I pass up due to the expense of reupholstery. I love what My3dogs does with her finds, and I see that there are other people on the board who are attempting their hands at it as well.

Is it worth taking an upholstery class, do you think--or can on-line tutorials teach you the basics? I ask because there is a 6 week class being offered through my town's continuing ed department. I'm a little concerned, however, because they will only let you bring a small ottoman or chair seat (upholstered to frame). You are asked to bring sharp scissors, a mallet, regular pliers, and a flat head screwdriver. You can also purchase the tools at class. I've taken other adult ed classes where I got frustrated at the ultra-basic level instruction of the class--where a lot of time was used up looking at pictures of the instructor's work or listening to their stories. Sorry if that sounds negative, but I am at a very busy stage of life and have to be careful of my time commitments. I've always been pretty good at teaching myself DIY stuff, but upholstery does kind of scare me.

So, can you share how you learned upholstery? Thanks!

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022