SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
triciae_gw

How to clean black marks

triciae
12 years ago

from my white porcelain sink?

DH was tired last night and dropped an LC lid and it hit on the dividing lip between the double sinks. It's an almost new Kohler and there's this 1", or so, mark we can't get off. Have tried bleach and Ajax. What else might work? No chips or cracks...just this black mark.

Thanks.

/tricia

Comments (29)

• grainlady_ks
    12 years ago

Try a Mr. Clean Magic Sponge, or a paste made of baking soda and lemon juice. -Grainlady

• hawk307
    12 years ago

Trica:
    Of what material is the LC lid made??? ,
    to cause the Black Mark.

I don't do too many abbreviations.
    LOU

• Related Discussions

how to clean water marks and scum on marble

Q

Comments (0)
    Our marble shower is one year old. We loved it when it was installed. It was beautiful. After my tile guy installed them, he told me he has seal them. My hubby sealed it again around 6 months later. Now after one year, the part gets splashed looked dull. When I use my figer go through the surface, it's not smooth any more. The ones at top 3' are still shinning and smooth. Also under the shower faucet, I can see water mark streaks. We never used any acid chemicals to clean them. The most we did was using hand wash liquid soap couple of times in the past 12 months. How can we make the marble shine again? and what's the proper way to keep it shinning without water marks? Thanks. Sherry
    ...See More

how do you clean black scuff marks off vinyl flooring?

Q

Comments (24)
    I clean our Legion every 2 weeks. They replaced their previous linoleum floor with a laminate flooring. Both floors are light coloured an I was always on my hands and knees getting the black marks off. I used a Mr Clean eraser at first but then stopped, it left white marks, not residue from the eraser itself, but it was taking the coating of the floor off. Even when using an eraser on the walls to remove scuff marks, I can see pale spots. I really don't like using them. What took it off quick and easy was the blue easy-off pad. A couple of swipes and immediately wipe off the blue soap and it was clean.
    ...See More

How do you to clean stubborn marks off a wall?

Q

Comments (5)
    Thank you for the advice. I just tried those methods and doesn't seem to have had an impact, but I will continue trying thse methods throughout the day to see if persistence helps.
    ...See More

How to clean efflorescence marks from bricks ?

Q

Comments (0)
    We cleaned round river gravels and by mistake threw the dirty water on brick driveway. We tried to clean the driveway with power wash but noticed that we had white marks now on the driveway. How do we get rid of the white lines ?
    ...See More
  • Jasdip
    12 years ago

LC---Le Cruset, Lou. Enameled cast iron lid.

• lindac
    12 years ago

Try Barkeeper's Friend if the above things don't work. It's a bleach that acts as a reducing agent rather than an oxidizing agent....often works where Clorox doesn't.
    But be gentle as it also contains an abrasive.
    Linda C

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    12 years ago

It depends on what that stain is.

If it is food stain, bleach, or Easyoff may get it off.

But if it is other kinds of imbedded stain like enamel (from the LC cover) into porcelain, then nothing short of fluoric acid can etch it off.

Do not use any abrasive to rub it off. You may damage the shinny surface of the porcelain.

You may need to get a stone worker to polish the stain off using Lapidary Diamond Powder of progressive finer mesh. A stone worker can also take away any deeper scratches and re-polish the porcelain with a shinny surface.

dcarch

• arkansas girl
    12 years ago

I have the white sink, you use Barkeeper's Friend...takes those black marks off like magic. Don't try that old Ajax/comet mess, it doesn't work, don't even waste you money on that garbage. I think the magic eraser sponge will work OK too but BKF is the BOMB!!!!!!!!!!!! It's my new(very old) miracle cleaner!

• ann_t
    12 years ago

Some toothpastes are also good at removing marks.

Ann

12 years ago

Bar Keepers Friend's main active ingredient is oxalic acid. It can bleach some organic stains. Oxalic acid can also interact with iron and iron rust. Therefore, if the black mark is left by the cast iron lid, it may work.

If Ajax has been tried, which is mostly an abrasive, then it is unlikely that tooth paste will work. Tooth paste is a very mild abrasive compound.

dcarch

• hawk307
    12 years ago

I second Dcarch's methods.
    That's why I wanted to know what caused the black mark.

It is probably Cast Iron imbedded into the surface of the Porcelain.

It may have to be Polished, after the black is removed.

I'm not sure if Muriatic Acid would be another acid that might work.
    If it is cleaned off with Barkeepers Friend, or an acid, neutalize it after,
    with a Baking soda solution and see if it needs Polishing.

Before an acid is tried, check with the manufacturers technical support.
    Ask what is recommended.
    A pumice stone can be used to polish out some scrapes.

LOU

• lindac
    12 years ago

Ajax contains bleach.....depending on which formulation either chlorine or oxygen bleach.....and so does toothpaste.
    Oxalic acid is a reducing agent and works well at removing metal based stains. Works well on blood stains (because of the hemoglobin in the blood) and meat stains on table linens. I've used it to remove stains when refinishing furniture....but it can be hard on your hands, so wear gloves.
    I'll bet it'll get that stain off your sink.....and polish up your copper pans too.

• triciae
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for all the suggestions. BKF it is later this morning! I use BKF for my SS cookware but never thought of it for porcelain. I've also got a half Mr. Clean sponge thing stuffed in the drawer below the dryer I'll try if the BKF doesn't work. The spot looks terrible - your eyes go right to it. :(

/tricia

• arkansas girl
    12 years ago

Well I have a very old white porcelain sink, everything that touches it leaves a black mark...I would never own another BTW if I had to pick a new sink out! Though the magic eraser sponge did manage to kind of get rid of the black marks, after reading many google results I found many people praising BKF so I went and bought the liquid and powder. They both work great...I was amazed at how good my old sink looked. Also the white sink is bad about staining yellow on the bottom, BKF gets that off like magic too! Unless your sink is chipped, BKF will clean it like new, I have no doubt about it. You should buy some pads for the bottom too or you'll end up with a chipped sink!

• arkansas girl
    12 years ago

OK I just tried some toothpaste. I keepa tube of Colgate, the plain white paste one just for polishing things and I also have a tube of that Rembrante stuff. Both work reasonable well to remove the black marks on my old sink. The BKF works better as it removes all traces of the mark where as the toothpaste you can still slightly see it.

• centralcacyclist
    12 years ago

I go easy with the BKF on porcelain as it will etch (it's an acid) and it is abrasive. I use Bon Ami much more often. I will mix it with some bleach as it doesn't react and make a paste that can sit on a spot if needed. It is ever so gently abrasive.

12 years ago

Anytime you use an abrasive on porcelain, you create micro scratches on the surface and that makes the surface collect stain and require more frequent cleaning.

Porcelain is like glass, you can use most cleaners and bleaches, including "Easyoff". Most acids will not attack porcelain. Porcelain is attacked by glass etching acids such as sodium Bifluoride, and Ammonium Bifluoride.

BKF is mostly oxalic acid which will not damage porcelain. Oxalic acid attacks iron and rust. In this case, if the mark is embedded into the porcelain by the dropping of the heavy cast iron lid, it may be able to remove the mark. It may take time.

It is very possible that deep scratch is on the porcelain now. To remove the deep scratches on porcelain, you will need special technique and tools or call a stone worker. Those of you who are into lapidary and jewelry making will know what I am talking about.

Eventually and unavoidably, all porcelain sinks will have micro scratches all over the surfaces. It is not that expensive to invest in an angle grinder ($20-$50) and some diamond paste ($20) to polish up the sink back to new condition.

Diamond tools in my workshop I use to remove deep scratches in stone, glass and porcelain:

dcarch
    {{!gwi}}

• lindac
    12 years ago

Barnmom....the acid in BKF isn't strong enough to etch your porcelain sink. And the abrasive is very gentle. I use BKF on my brass candle sticks and they will get mirror bright....no sign of abrasion.
    But it will "etch" your hands and manicure! So wear gloves.
    And BKF also removes rust stains from my stainless sink.
    Beginning to wish I owned stock in the company!!!!
    Linda C

• centralcacyclist
    12 years ago

It's good stuff but I did etch a stainless sink once by leaving it a water deposit for a while. And It is more abrasive than Bon Ami. So I keep BKF for really stubborn tasks like burned food in a stainless pot. An overnight soak takes it right out. And bad water deposits. And rust. I have seen sinks ruined by long time use of abrasives like Comet, Ajax, and BKF so I use those cautiously.

• arkansas girl
    12 years ago

Well I'm not seeing anywhere that says that BKF is abrasive to the point of ruining anything. William Sonoma recommends it and I think if it's OK with them then it ought to be pretty darn safe. I've also seen that you can use it to get rid of the dull finish that happens to tail lights on your older cars. I haven't tried it yet but I'm going to. Also remember that the etching could also be caused by the cleaning pad you are using. BKF is not like comet or ajax at all!

• riverrat1
    12 years ago

BKF is my best friend in the kitchen! I have a very old old kitchen sink in my second kitchen that I use BKF on regularly. Then, in my newer kitchen, I have a beautiful porceline Kohler double chefs sink that I also use it on. I just can't bring myself to put those plastic divider thingys in my sinks...it sure would help keep the black marks down though.

• cloudy_christine
    12 years ago

Don't make the mistake of using Bar Keeper's Friend on your Le Creuset. Ask me how I know.

• lindac
    12 years ago

I use it on my Le Cruset....why not?

• arkansas girl
    12 years ago

I'm wondering why some people are claiming to have problems with BKF...is it possible they bought something else and are just thinking they used BKF? I ask this because I was at the store one time years ago and picked up a can of Bon Ami thinking I was getting BKF(the product I'd seen raved about because I couldn't remember what the name was)...it did nothing to clean and is abrasive. I just can't imagine BKF ruining anything because I've used it on just about everything I can think of...the only thing that ruined anything was the scrub pad(the green ones) I used with it. It would have scratched even with plain water.

• foodonastump
    12 years ago

AK Girl - I "sacrificed" a knife to prove a point. Not the greatest pictures but the first one shows the knife relatively flawless, the second is after cleaning it with BKF. (Yes, BKF not Bon Ami.) Those long horizontal lines are scratches that do not come off now. Yes, I rubbed it fairly hard. I do like and use BKF, but I echo words of caution.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• lindac
    12 years ago

Doubting Thomas that I am....I just tried to mar a stainless spoon.....and couldn't do it. And I can't see any scratches in your pictures either....but that may be a fault of the photographer...;-)
    I put the BKF on my wet finger and rubbed at the handle of a Stainless spoon. My finger got black showing it was reacting with the steel but could not see where I rubbed. I'll bet it would mar Sterling though....but not going to "sacrifice" a piece of silver!!

• eandhl
    12 years ago

I accidentally put something in the DW once and got some rust spots on my old SS flatware. I little scrub with BKF and they looked like new again. I also have some All Clad pans a& they recommend and I use BKF. Nothing I have used it on has gotten marred or ruined.

• eandhl
    12 years ago

In my above post I mean stainless steel flatware.

• arkansas girl
    12 years ago

Well I took one of my clean nylon crocheted scrubbies that I buy at the craft fairs and used it plain wet and got scratches on my Stainless Knife with ZERO cleaner on the pad only water. I think those stainless knives are very easy to show a scratch. I used BKF on my stainless water faucet with a cotton cloth and it showed no scratch marks at all. It is a highly shined stainless Moen faucet.

12 years ago

There is no such thing as stainless steel.

There are many many many "stainless steel" types, and they are all stain resistant, not stainless.

dcarch

• triciae
    Original Author
    12 years ago

dcarch,

"There are many many many "stainless steel" types, and they are all stain resistant, not stainless."

Oh man, as a boater I can vouch for the truthfulness of that statement! I've spent hours & hours scrubbing various stains & rust from so called quality marine grade "SS". (grin) Our home's front storm/screen door is made from very heavy stainless steel/brass & powdered coated. It has to be powerwashed & scrubbed/polished every spring. (ugh)

Last night after I'd suggested the Magic Eraser or Bartender, DH shouted out, "Hon, can you come look? I got the spot off the sink!!"

You know guys, they'd rather do it themselves...especially when they caused the, eh, *issue*.

Anyway, here's what he used.

We use it to get fender marks off our boat's gelcoat. He figured if it didn't hurt Isle of Somewhere's gelcoat it wouldn't hurt the silly sink. He was right. So, I guess there's another weapon in the arsenal if anybody's else has black ugly marks on their porcelain sinks. We bought ours at West Marine but it might be available at hardware stores (but probably not...pretty sure it's a marine product).

/tricia

Here is a link that might be useful: 3M Boat Stuff