SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19691163

How to clean brass(?) and white mark on table? pix

User
15 years ago

I bought this lamp at a garage sale this weekend just because dd needed a lamp and it wasn't hideous. I actually bought it before picking it up, and it seems to be solid brass, although I don't know how to tell. I included a pic of the base in case anyone here can look at it and tell. The lamp is dirty and has some kind of sticky film on it. Dh thinks maybe coated with nicotine?

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

There is a mark on it that I thought was dust, but when I rubbed it with my finger, it got bigger. It is a lighter color where that has come off, more of a silver color. Is there another heavy metal this could be and then coated with a thin layer of brass? Inside the base is also the darker brass color. There is a white spot above my finger that is the glare from a light in the room, and the other mark is just above that glare spot.

{{!gwi}}

Whatever it is, how should I clean it? And the table needs a good dust and polish too, so please overlook that. Hey, for free, I can clean anything.

Then there is a table that was given to dd. I think the white mark is a paint transfer from going through a door or maybe from rubbing against the side of a vinyl cover in the back of the car. You can see it on the edge of the table and it's about the same size as the small side of my little camera case on top of the table.

{{!gwi}}

Any tips on getting that off without damaging the finish on the table?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
High Point Cabinets
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Columbus' Experienced Custom Cabinet Builder | 4x Best of Houzz Winner