SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sable_ca

Getting a Colonoscopy

sable_ca
15 years ago

I know, I know. We don't like to read the word, let alone think about the procedure. However, reading Pattico's post about her friend with leukemia made me decide to share this.

One of my dearest and most special friends was diagnosed four weeks ago with Stage 4 colon cancer, a fairly large tumor, partially necrotic, with mets to the liver and possibly also the lungs. She was symptom-free until last month, when body aches and pains, constant exhaustion, and her skin turning yellow sent her to the doctor. She is almost 60 years old, in superb physical condition, a skier, with careful eating habits, and with no cancer history in her family. So - what happened? She never had a colonoscopy. Her doctor told her that this tumor took years to develop. She is being treated with palliative chemotherapy. She hasn't mentioned the words "stage 4" or "palliative", but I researched on the internet and this is what she has.

My friend lives several hundred miles away, up in the mountains, and it will be springtime before we can be sure of no snow and so get up to visit her. This evening I spent almost two hours on the phone with her, as I'm doing at least once a week, in between the emails. We talked about many things, other friends, our cats, favorite foods (her appetite barely exists), TV, our friendship; we laughed a lot and also cried a bit. She has a good support network up there, including a few cancer survivors, so she's not alone.

So I am writing to say that if you are over fifty and have never had a colonoscopy - do it! Soon! Doctors say that 80% of colon cancers are preventable or curable by adhering to a regimen of colonoscopies, once every ten years or five years, or in my case, three years.

If you choose a compassionate doctor and are specific about what you want, this procedure is completely pain-free. Getting a pap smear is worse and we all get those, don't we? You will fall asleep as you are counting the tiles on the ceiling and awaken under a toasty heated blanket in the recovery room, and your rear end will feel fine. It's true that the potion to be drunk beforehand is not delicious, but that's nothing compared to getting this wretched disease under control!

My heart is breaking for this lovely woman, so generous and kind-hearted, gentle, intelligent and witty. I can never say to her what I am thinking - why didn't you have the d*mn test!

The best of health to all of you -

Sable

Comments (18)