SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
babs711_gw

Entry Lanterns...off-centered or centered w/ off-set front door?

babs711
12 years ago

Our front door is not centered in our foyer. The electrical drawing has the two lanterns in this space centered with the front door and the cased opening that will lead into the main spaces of the house. You can see this below.

Yesterday when I was with the gc, he asked if we wanted to keep it that way or center them with the room or if we wanted to do one lantern and change the second to a can since on the other side of the cased opening, there will be cans. But the electrician pointed out the second cannot be changed to a can where they are now because of the joist.

As you can see, the bottom stair railings are open and the little dotted lines to the right of the stairs is showing the small angled section of ceiling for stairs. I'm wondering if once we put a piece of furniture or something to the right of the stairs/left of the double doors, it will look more balanced having the lights centered with the doors? Or maybe that's how they should look anyway?

On the other hand, it seems right to center them in the room. But if we center, then they'll be just "off" yet not hidden from the door and off from the 2/3 glass front door view. Since the door will be mostly glass, the lantern should be viewed in the center of it then, right?

I've asked people and have had both opinions...most leaning toward leaving them where they are.

What would you do here if you were me?

Comments (7)

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012