SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristen_hallock

Have layout, but need help planning cabinets

Kristen Hallock
11 years ago

I really am hopeless on planning which cabinets should go where and I would appreciate some help. Here is the general kitchen plan. I've had people review here before and I think all seems fine and dandy with the layout. Feel free to point out any issues if you need to though.

I went to Lowes today and the kitchen designer there drew up the model above for me. I know I want almost all drawers. I know I want some nice big Pot & Pan Drawers.In the pic above I put them on either side of the range, but then I couldnt think of what I needed in the island, so i did more big drawers there too. Is that overkill? I am thinking of other items that I have to store currently and I need a place for dishtowels and probably cloth napkins and stuff like that. Right now our silverware is located to the left of the sink - is that still good for the future kitchen? Should I have a 4-drawer stack there instead? So I could have drawer for forks/knives/spoons and another drawer for special utensils/cooking tools?

Where should the trash be? The Lowes guy put it at the end of the island opening up to the range - is that ok? I was thinking it might be nice to have on the island but far from the range? I have a prep sink in my plan that will be in the island opposite the range and across from the fridge.

He put in 2 base cabinets with doors to the left of the range so I could change those to be more drawers too. I just have no idea where the best place for stuff is. I always just work with whatever I have and not plan it out.

What cabinet would be ideal for dishes and glasses? I usually store those in wall cabinets, but I am on 5'2" and so I wouldnt be opposed to putting them in a drawer...although my 6' husband might not be into it. Should I have some glass front cabinets? If I make one of the wall cabinets on the sides of the sink a glass front cabinet, would it be better to make both wall cabinets on the sides of the sink glass front?

The fridge is on the opposite wall from the sink and that wall measures 61", It would have a 36" fridge that we would recess back into the wall (maybe like 4"?) to give more aisle space. There is just enough room I think to have a panel on one end and a 24" wide pantry cabinet with roll out shelves. I would put most of my food in there (cereal, cookies, crackers, pasta, baking supplies...)

Oh, I'd LOVE someplace to store spices that is easy for 5'2" me to see and where everything is in view and easy to read. Where should that go? I've seen one in a drawer before that was pretty cool.

Ok, if you made it this far, thank you!!!

Oh, if you need to see an overall layout here is a picture. But keep in mind the cabinet placement in this picture is not final. it was just a mock-up. But it shows where the doorways lead and what not.

And here is a view of the current kitchen

Comments (5)