SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
triciae_gw

Incredible Farmer's Market Experience!

triciae
12 years ago

OK, I'm trying to support our local farmers. Ya'know, all that "eat local" stuff, help our small farmers, etc. Well, they sure don't make it easy!

We leave a week from today for John Hopkins. The doctor's office has already told us to get anything we wanted to accomplish for fall & the holidays before...not after the appointment. So, we've been busy as little bees doing holiday shopping & trying to get fall produce put up for the fall/winter. Had a set-back with Irene when we lost both freezers packed with early things like strawberries, peaches, corn, etc. We replaced the corn but it was too late to replace other stuff. Oh, well. We'll concentrate on fall crops.

So, today was the day we decided to go to the farmer's market & get apples, potatoes, onions, beets, garlic (we lost our crop to Irene), acorn & butternut squash. We'd blocked out Mon-Thur to get the produce put up. Ah, the best of plans...

Got to the market at opening...12:00 p.m. sharp. Went to our favorite organic farmer. He had bushels of beautiful acorn & butternut squash on sale for $1/lb. DH said, "Really pretty squash. We'll take 20 acorns & 12 butternuts, please." We were met with a blank stare. DH repeated himself. Farmer stuttered a bit & finally got out, "Gee, we can't sell you 20 acorns & 12 butternuts." DH, "Why not? You've got bushels there on your truck." Response, "Well, what if it's a busy day & lots of people come later this afternoon?" Now it was DH's turn to stare & stutter. DH said, "So what? You can say you're sorry but you've only got 30 other bushels left". Long story short, he would NOT sell us the squash. BUT, he said he would DELIVER us the squash Tuesday. I was laughing by this time, couldn't help myself. He would rather spend his gas to deliver us squash from the farm rather than risk that a customer might come along at 2:00 p.m. & he wouldn't have enough squash left. Can ya believe it? He may be a very good organic farmer but he's a lousy business person. :( If we don't get the squash until sometime on Tuesday we'll not have time to get it put up on our schedule before leaving Sunday for Baltimore. (sigh)

Went to get organic apples. Small this year but very crisp & sweet. We'll take 30 lbs., please. Horrors! The nice lady would not sell us 30 lbs. of her Macs. We could buy a 3-lb. bag for $9.00. or we could buy a little 5-apple bag for $6.00. She had 3 of those 8' tables set up in a "U" shape all filled with those 3 lb. bags of Macs. We wanted 10 of her precious little bags. Nope. Her logic was that it wasn't fair to charge us $9.00 a bag if we wanted 30 lbs. Well, OK. We're always glad to get a deal. "So, how much are you going to charge us?" The sweet little lady said, "I can't sell you the apples 'cause I don't know how much would be fair to charge you." DH, always trying to be helpful, suggested $7.00/bag. "I don't know if that's fair." DH, "What do you need to do to find out what's fair?" Lady, "I don't know. Guess I could call some other growers this week & give you a call mid-week." Geesh! Is shopping supposed to be such a challenge???

We bought a 5-apple bag to munch this afternoon during the Pats/Jets game & left.

Side note: I'm watching David Veneble's cooking show on the Q...just found out he doesn't eat fish with "whiskers"! I think that's funny. Good lesson for all of us - never assume anything about somebody's food issues. (smile)

Back to the farmer's market...

Nobody would sell us anything on our list. We were treated like a pack of robbers coming through the market. Apparently, they would rather cart the produce home than sell it all in the first 30 minutes. Go figure. Not good business sense, IMO. But, what do I know.

So, other than our little bag of 5-apples we have nothing. Nada. Zilch. It's going to be a long winter here at our house in Mystic. Food all around us but none to be purchased, prepped, & put in the freezer. DH suggested I purchase 500 shares of Whole Foods on Tuesday morning. Said we were going to be increasing their sales/profits this year.

It's hard to buy organic produce. No wonder small farmers are struggling!

/tricia (apple-less in Mystic)

Comments (20)

• mustangs81
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Tricia, that just sounds "silly". Seems like the farmers would relish the opportunity to say "the early birds got the..apples today."

I hope you get all your ducks in a row before you head out; seems like you have encountered a unusual number of roadblocks to your well thought out plan.

I hope all goes well at JH.

• marys1000
    12 years ago

With the expansion of farmers trying organic I guess the business knowledge end hasn't caught up. If they are very new to it and/or even selling at Market they probably are feeling uncomfortable about pricing and cultivating customers.
    Sounds like a business class niche! Teach farmers the business end of farmers markets.

Sounds like you had an entertaining day out and about though which is good.

Hope all goes well at JH too.

• Related Discussions

Farmer's Market Interns

Q

Comments (2)
    she could set up a market facebook page. she can run events at the market that attract customers...tomato tasting/contest, garlic festival, etc.
    ...See More

Dekalb Farmer's Market

Q

Comments (13)
    I live about 3 hours east of there and make a pilgrimage at least twice a year. Great deals on bulk spices. One thing to look for if you like spicy food: chipotle powder. You can find canned chipotles anywhere, but this is the only place I've found it as a powder. It's roughly equivalent to the hot pimenton (smoked Spanish paprika) but it's very smoky and very hot. Addictive, and very easy to use--I have a filled a dedicated salt shaker with it and keep it by my stove and add it to eggs, meats, whatever. Great choice in oils. Lots of Spanish olive oils, classified as spicy or fruity or aromatic. Bulk organic coconut oil. Ditto on the advice to bring a big cooler. Lots of meats, including stuff that's hard to find elsewhere: rabbit, fresh duck (whole, and duck legs & breasts sold separately as well)--they have a good selection of halal meats as well. (Halal goat seems to be a good seller.) Good sausages made there, including landjaeger. Incredible seafood selection. They'll clean it for you right there. In addition to fish, they have all sorts of unusual items like octopus, squid, etc. Breads and baked goods: made on the premises. Every item I've tried has been at least very good, and some have been outstanding. Produce: lots of fresh veggies and fruits, including some really oddball stuff like durian fruit (don't ask--it's pretty nasty IMHO) One thing to remember: you may wish to bring a sweater or jacket. They keep the whole inside area pretty cool. It's a foodie paradise, and it's a good thing I live so far away; if I lived any closer I'd probably weigh 400 pounds. And as mentioned, it's cash or debit card only. No credit cards. Have fun!
    ...See More

Trip to farmer's market (lots of thumbnails)

Q

Comments (4)
    These photos make me so envious. Our farmers market is in the middle of a shopping mall. Better than nothing, though. Am I missing something with the maple syrup photo? Do you have to get it yourself out of the tree? Hehe.
    ...See More

My first farmer's market, pls help

Q

Comments (3)
    I never heard of that before, but I'm living in the deep south now. I used to live near Phila. Pa. Try a few and see how it goes. When I sold plants at the flea market herbs were my best seller and malabar spinach always sold out to the orientals. Anything with a flower on it sold instantly for me. I sold ornamental plants mostly. Golden Dew Drop--humming birds love the flowers.
    ...See More
  • triciae
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Cathy, it is silly but apparently not to them. We have learned our lesson. This is the type of farmer's market where people walk around once/twice looking at all the goodies & then pick one special onion and, maybe, a prized single beet to place in their cloth shopping bag for tonight's dinner. Not the type market to purchase in bulk. Live & learn.

We have 3 extra days to get ready for JH since we won't be putting up apples! Thanks for the well wishes.

/t

• wizardnm
    12 years ago

Strange...here, they would gladly sell everything to one person.
    Are there no, at the farm, farm markets out in the country?

Nancy

• triciae
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We also stopped by here trying to get cider. Clydes' is just a couple miles from the house, in Mystic. Learned another lesson...don't go to Clydes's on a holiday weekend. We couldn't get near the place. Don would have had to push my transporter 1/2 mile. :(

DH is going to go back alone mid-week & get cider to freeze.

/t

Here is a link that might be useful: Steam Powered Cider Mill

• jessicavanderhoff
    12 years ago

That's so odd. Not sure if you'll have time to do any shopping while you're in Baltimore, but we have a great farmer's market!

• lindac
    12 years ago

I understand where the dealers are coming from. If they have nothing to sell many customers won't come back the next week.
    I learned a long time ago that when I want bushels of stuff to go late in the day....and they will sell me all that's left for a very resonable price.

Sow hat are you having done at JH.....and who's going to keep us updated?
    Linda C

• foodonastump
    12 years ago

Tricia - Though tempted, I'm not going to go off on the so-called farmers markets around here. They seem little more than an opportunity to overpay for ugly, bruised produce that may or may not be organic or otherwise more healthy than the stuff at the supermarket.

More importantly, I want to wish you luck at JH. I've been thinking about "October" ever since you posted about your acceptance into the program. I hope your experience benefits both you and their research. Please keep us posted.

• eandhl
    12 years ago

I agree with lindac, I myself have gotten pretty miffed to travel to the closest Farmers Market maybe 1/2 - 1 hr after opening and be told at each stand "sold out". I don't blame them but I admit unless I can be there at opening I know there isn't much sense in going at all. Good luck at JH.

• annie1992
    12 years ago

Well, people are sure different in other parts of the country, here we are very businesslike. If I open at 10 am and you come and want everything I have, I sell it all to you. As Nancy said, first come, first served.

That said, I seldom see anything being sold out, the farmers are well stocked and well prepared, usually have some business eperience and education or they couldn't make a living farming, that's for sure. More likely if I come at the end of the day I get really good deals because the farmers don't want to take it back home.

I usually go straight to the "on the farm" kind of farmer's markets Nancy mentioned, there's always more, they just go out and pick some.

It just makes me happier and happier that I live in Michigan instead of somewhere that the farmers don't even have enough sense to sell what they have for sale when they get the chance.

II think I'd find a real farm market where people have more good sense, sheesh.

Annie

• teresa_nc7
    12 years ago

You might ask to get a business card or phone number from the vendor, then call during the week and pre-order what you want - that would give them time to calculate a price for you and hold back your order. Of course, you must do your part and show up on the appointed day and time to pick up your order, but I have no doubt that you would fulfill your end of the bargain. :o)

Some vendors are more business savvy than others, for sure.

Teresa

• foodonastump
    12 years ago

I think your DH set this up. Called ahead and told everyone not to sell to you. Can't say I blame him - four days of canning doesn't sound like much fun to me, either! ;-)

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    12 years ago

We have people like those farmers with inflexible, rigid, one-track minds; unfortunately they all work for the Motor Vehicle Department or the local Zoning Department.

dcarch

• dgkritch
    12 years ago

Wow! That would be an entirely foreign experience here.
    I find that some of our organic growers are somewhat overpriced, but more than willing to sell anything they have.
    I was at the Farmer's Market in Tigard (Triciae, I KNOW you know where that's at!!) and found some great deals!
    I didn't need much since I grow so many things, but I still hauled home:
    4 large Ancho peppers ($1.00)
    2 large Red Bell peppers ($1.50)
    a bunch of 3 large leeks ($2.00)
    a nice head of butterhead lettuce ($1.00)
    a bunch of enormous radishes ($.50)

Yep, my fridge is stocked with yummy salad stuff and I spent all of $6.00.

This one particular vendor has the best prices, beautiful produce and the farmer is actually there and can answer any questions! Love it.

I could almost ship the produce you're looking for cheaper!
    Not in time though, darn it.

Sorry you had such trouble.
    Deanna

• jude31
    12 years ago

Good luck at JH, tricia!

jude

• lpinkmountain
    12 years ago

Actually it is total business sense if this market was in an uban area. I live in one and go to them but they are totally different than a farm market that sells in bulk. They are not selling to people who put up produce, they are trying to get repeat customers who come in every week to buy a little of this and that for the table. If you want produce to put up, go directly to the farm, or establish a relationship with one of the farmers, call ahead and they will bring in extra to deliver to you. I do this when I want produce for canning. Or, there are actually produce auctions where farmers take the stuff they can't sell as top grade, and that's where you can get some buys if there is a glut. That's the way to put up food economically. You can also buy stuff at a greengrocer although that stuff will almost always be from the west, south or Mexico. Could be good, could not be good, depends on the growing conditions in that part of the country and the shipping circumstances. I imagine it is different in rural parts of the country like where Annie lives and where I was brought up, although it is getting harder and harder to find farms where they grow in bulk, particularly if you want organic. Perhaps a CSC, but urban organic farms are usually small because they are near the urban areas, and they survive by charging prices the upscale urbanites will pay. I'm sure that's what she meant by a "fair" price. The upscale price is probably a 400% markup, but that's the price you pay for farm fresh brought to you in the city. To pay less, you have to go to the farms. Yes, it is tragi-comic, and it does concern me that we have come so far away from basic sustenance. Less than 3% of the population is involved in agriculture and even that figure may drop when the present generation dies out. I imagine it is rather disconcerting when you're idea of a farm market is trucks filled with just picked stuff. Nowdays, the best business plan for a fruit or vegetable farmer is to grow specialty crops, and to sell chi chi varieties in small batches to those who can pay. However, many of the folks I know are more than happy to sell to you for preserving if you let them know what's going on and they can make arrangements outside of the market scene.

As a side note, some friends of mine joined a CSA and started to get suspicious when their produce allotment every week looked so carpy, and yet when they went to the farm the stuff in the fields looked pretty good. As it went, the farmer was taking the best stuff to the city farm markets where they could get top dollar for it, and giving the leftovers to the CSA members. It's very hard to come up with a great business model in farming, there are so mnay variables that are almost impossible to predict and control.

• triciae
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Good info, Lpink. We are not really urban though. Organic farms are mostly small & sell at farmers markets & have no sales at their farms.

The squash farmer did show up today with acorn squash. Same $1/lb. as at the market but he delivered. Very nice folks & I guess we're on their delivery route now. They don't grow apples though. The apple lady phoned this afternoon with her "fair" price of $32/bushel (about 42 lbs.) She's bringing them tomorrow from Plainfield.

DH is taking a community creative writing class (non fiction) & he wrote about our market experience for class tonight. There are 5 others in the class & they all volunteered help Friday to get our produce put up (one is just 16 y.o.). I'm amazed at the kindness! It should be a fun day.

The rest of what we'd hoped to put up won't happen this year. Oh well, we shouldn't eat many potatoes anyway...lol.

You never know how something will turn out!

/tricia

• foodonastump
    12 years ago

Tricia - Unless I'm completely misreading your posts or if my math is fuzzy after a long day, first the "nice lady" wouldn't sell you the organic MacIntosh at her original price of $3/lb, fearing it was unfairly expensive. Then she wouldn't sell them to you at your husband's suggested price of $2.33/lb. Now she calls you up with an offer for $.76/lb. All this, mind you in a market where NON-organic Macs go for $1.33/lb at your local Stop & Shop Supermarket (based on Peapod web site.)

Personally, if I were concerned about supporting the local farmer I would place a call to the owners and warn them that this nice lady is going to singlehandedly drive them out of business faster than the local land taxes ever will.

Nice rest of the story though, with the volunteer help! Good luck canning, and again, good luck at JH.

• triciae
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I told you originally, FOAS, that these people are not business minded! :) PLUS, she's delivering to our door. Or, and I suppose this is a possibility...there are not as many pounds of apples in her "bushels" as I'm expecting?? We discussed "price per bushel" not "per pound". I did the math on the per pound price. Maybe, she's got some cute little "designer" bushels? We'll see this afternoon. I thought a bushel was a standardized measurement (about 42 lbs.)...did I goof? Always possible with my meds. :(

/tricia

• foodonastump
    12 years ago

Too funny... whatever you get, hope you like them apples!