SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cherryfizz

My Aunt Passed Away

Cherryfizz
16 years ago

My Aunt Joan passed away March 27 at 1:30 am in St. Louis, Missouri

My Aunt Joan was 86 years old which came as a surprise to me. LOL I thought she was only 81 years old! She was my Dad's youngest sister. Their Mom died when my Aunt Joan was 7 months old and because my Grandfather couldn't take care of 5 young children they were sent to live with their Mom's sister's excpet for my Aunt Joan who was adopted by friends in Michigan. My Dad and his brother ran away from their Aunt and went home to live with my Grandpa.

My Aunt Margaret always kept tabs on her little sister and part of the adoption was that my Aunt Joan had to visit her Mother's family in Windsor which she hated to do. She didn't like her Aunt's at all. LOL When she was old enough to stand up for herself she refused to go. LOL My Dad always kept in touch with his little sister too.

It's funny because even though my Aunt Joan didn't grow up with her sisters it was amazing how much alike they were right down to their mannerisms and the expressions they used and they were stubborn to boot. LOL I inherited that gene too. LOLOL

My Aunt Joan and Uncle Chuck moved their family to St. Louis and I would visit them often and actually took my first airline flight in 1974 to spend a week with them. I have been back many times since.

One of the last times I visited my Aunt Joan she wasn't very nice to me and I was hesitant to see her again but my cousin Kurt told me she had changed and wouldn't remember what she did and thankfully she didn't so we had a nice visit.

A couple of weeks ago my Aunt was in the hospital recovering from a fall when she had a massive stroke which left her totally paralysed. For the last 11 days she hasn't been able to eat or drink anything so we knew it would just be a matter of days. Her heart and pulse stayed strong though right to the end.

The visitation is today and the funeral tomorrow and I won't be able to fly to St. Louis. My Sister Marjorie was really close to my Aunt Joan and lived with her for many years and she can't get to the funeral either because she is out of town. I feel terrible that none of my family will be at the funeral.

I just want to thank you for the special thoughts and prayers you offered my Aunt Joan on my other post last week.

Anne

Comments (26)