SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
adh673

Hodgepodge of Questions for the Experts

adh673
14 years ago

I have a lot of questions- I'm just going to list them and hope people who have been there will weigh in!

1. How do you find a kitchen desginer? Do you always pay? We have gone around to some mid-higher end stores and they all want around 1500-2500 for a design? Some apply it to the job if you give it to them. How do I decide who to spend that money with? Should I talk to general contractors too? I hate to spend all that money then not like the design or changes places and it not work with the cabinets. My kichen is about 20 X 13 and we are not doing anything structural- except maybe increasing a window size.

2. Anyone use automatic sensor faucets in a prep sink?

3. I have 8 foot ceilings (ugh). If I have to choose between 39 inch cabinets and crown or 42 inch cabinets and smaller crown, which is better? I tend to like the old world styling.

4. Whats the rule for how big walk ways should be? I've read 3 feet and also 4 feet.

5. How do people feel about their 48 inch stoves? I'd really like a double oven but I do have a new full kichen in my basement with a convection oven which I dont know how to use. My wall where I plan to put the over would have about 20 inches of cabinets allowable on either side of a 48" range. Is that too crowded? It's not a huge kitchen. I went to look at the ranges and they seems huge to me in the store. But I think I have seen pictures here of people with smaller kitchens using them...thoughts? I think I could work technically with a 36 inch range but I am still a little worried about not having a double oven- granted I would only need a double oven about 3 times a year.

6. Anyone know a good supplier for random plank width hardwoods? Is engineered or regular better for the kitchen?

7. Recommendations for good white cabinet (actually white-cream with glaze)- I'm a little disappointed in many appearing like laminate.

8. What is the consensus on putting dishes in drawers vs. cabinets?

Thank you!!!!

Comments (5)