SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marmoreus_gw

Building home--need suggestions

marmoreus
16 years ago

Hi!

We are finalizing our house plans and I am working on trying to pick out all the "stuff" that goes into a house. I am not naturally skilled when it comes to style and decor so I am feeling a bit paralyzed by all the choices.

Here is what I would like some help on. We've kind of decided on what our exterior will look like and it sort of dictates an overall style--I think. See the link below. We like the stone and hardiplank/shingles on this house. I don't know that we'd go full blown farmhouse with the cupola/bell and all that. Anyway, I think we've decided we like the farmhouse/updated country look but I want to figure out the kitchen and I am stuck. We want hardwood floors (walnut if we can swing it) and probably maple cabinets painted white. It's the counters/island, sink and faucets where I am struggling.

My husband will not agree to having wood/butcher block for the countertop or island so that is out. I would prefer a more subtle/matte look for counters if possible. I like the ORB finish for faucets. I have children so durability is an issue.

When I look at kitchen pictures, I find myself kind of drawn to the black and white kitchens with soapstone countertops but that's not really a farmhouse look-right? More 1920-ish? But I don't find a lot of farmhouse kitchen pics out in internet land. At least not ones that I like.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks so much!

Here is a link that might be useful: exterior that we like

Comments (8)