SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindac_gw

And one thing leads to another...

lindac
15 years ago

Was on the entertainment forum, reading about Annie serving peanut soup for Thanksgiving...knew I had a recipe from Colonial Williamsburg at one time and decided that rather than digging through recipes I would see if it was on line....and it is.

But so are several other peanut soup recipes, both the African kind with tomatoes and some sort of hot peppers and the southern US kind with cream....but look what else was listed right there in the list of peanut soup recipes....at Cooks dot com.

And I thought it was a serious cooking site.

ELEPHANT SOUP

1 med. elephant (African is best)

500 gal. hot water

2 pecks onions, finely chopped

1 bu. potatoes, peeled and sliced

5 shovels salt

3 shovels pepper

1 1/2 cases Worcestershire sauce

5 qts. peanut oil (optional)

10 bottles rum (or more if cooking time is longer or if you're expecting more than 8 guests)

Coke to taste

Mix 1 1/2 oz. of rum with coke; drink. Wash and dry elephant (don't use soap as this will spoil flavor). Chop into bite sized chunks. In back of 1/2 ton truck (or rented U-Haul) pour hot water. Have another rum and coke and add elephant, spuds and other ingredients. Allow to simmer. Meanwhile, finish first bottle of rum. Stir mixture using canoe paddle or small outboard motor. Allow to simmer until vegetables are tender and meat falls apart. When guests arrive, start them off with remaining rum. This recipe will serve 3800 people. If more are expected, 2 chopped rabbits may be added. Do this only if necessary as most people do not like to find a hare in their soup. (The peanut oil won't really add to the soup, but it's the way the elephant would have wanted it!)

Ever get lost when you are looking on the net and finding amazing and interesting things? LOL!

Linda C

Comments (11)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations