My sad attempt at improvement:

A little better:

Now (with a long way to go):

Close up of rug:

What stays:

-FP even though it's blocked

-Furniture: sofas, chairs, and bookcases

Things I want to change:

-Replace lamps (want to get a chunkier floor lamp and a less frou-frou table lamp)

-Get a round coffee table; in the meantime, paint current table

-Replace little table (preferably with something in natural wood and with cleaner lines)

-PILLOWS (going to wait until I have the curtain issue settled)

-Curtains (getting samples of linen-- also thinking of velvet)

-Artwork

-Putting up wallpaper or painting bookcase backs

-Change metal tone of bookcase lights

-Take down shelf on FP wall, change lighting there and other decor-- am looking for a few bigger pieces for mantel

-Add trim to bookcase

Colors I am thinking of: coral, terracotta, rust, ginger, camel,aubergine

Ideas? Esp. need help w/curtains right now. They will be floor length.

Comments (78)

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Tina, thank you for your ideas!

Finz, thank you! The paint color is from Valspar's historical line. It's "Homestead Resort Cream."

Aktillery, I love that room! It's Miss Mustard, yes?

Geo, just nowhere else to move the FP. House is too small. If I move it to the other side of the room, it will still get blocked by the chair. We actually use it for heat, too! On the plus side, it's a fake FP so it's not like the "flame" is great to look at, so it's not terrible that it's blocked from that line of thinking.

I think the key problem in the room is the chairs. They are just SO big. We never would have put a 2nd sofa in that room, but those two chairs together + the table add up to the same length. What we should have gotten is another loveseat. DH suggested it at the time, but I was dreaming of having a chair like this:

{{gwi:1601858}}

It's the problem of form and function. FP is blocked, but we use it for heat. Chairs are too big, but we found them to be the most comfortable. The small chairs would have looked so much better, but we found them to be not just less comfortable, but actually uncomfortable. Surprising to me, given that I am short. Sigh.

• mustangs81
    12 years ago

Wow, a lot of great feedback. My only contribution at this point in the discussion is that the kitties are a great improvement over the PO's decor.

• Related Discussions

Lotsa lotsa caterpillars

Q

Comments (7)
    Hi, Sherry. Generally, if it's sunny out, there are Monarch Butterflies at the arboretum. Lately there have been lots of them, but today it was overcast and chilly, and I only saw one! There are SO many caterpillars, though, and between them and the colder nights and the yellow aphids, the milkweed plants are starting to look pretty scraggly. In a couple of weeks, many of them will be reduced to naked stems. I haven't seen any tags on the adults, but I have to admit, I haven't been looking out for them either. Whereabouts on the butterfly do you put the tags? Do you have a photo you could post of a tagged butterfly (or the link to a previous if you already posted one) so I know what to look for? (sorry I'm so clueless!) It would be really cool if I could find one.
    ...See More

Help - How to add color/life to my kitchen (lotsaPICS)

Q

Comments (44)
    Your kitchen is beautiful. It just needs a little fun added to it. The valance that starts from the ceiling with the stage coach ties would be a good choice. I think that picture is a great example of how you can bring colors into the room from the fabric. Also, I would suggest using the same valance in the dining area. The picture with the shorter valance looks too choppy. I would look for a print fabric that had some of the colors of the granite in it. I really like the iron art over the stove although I would prefer to see a tile BS, if funds allow it. The dining table needs a large colored art bowl. I agree with Igloo, the colbat just doesn't make it and you need to pull in the golds and rusts. Colbalt blue actually sticks out like a sore thumb but it may work if you have art or fabric with a little colbalt blue in it along with rusts and golds. I would not use any rug in an eating area unless you were using a glass table. The patio doors look fine without any treatment but a valance would add some warmth to the room and still give you full view (use one that starts from the ceiling) Don't worry about tying in the white appliances. I would just ignore them since the wood trim is painted white (that's enough white). Once you get the window treatments squared away, I would like to see some colored accessories in the glass cabs instead of plain white. JMHO
    ...See More

My new sewing room (lotsa pics)

Q

Comments (21)
    nice set up Amy.I like that corner that has the shelves with the pegs on them,and the pictures on the wall.The cabinets are very nice,and you sure were quick getting it set up.But i guess that's what they call getting our priorities in order ,right?? LOL Good job,now enjoy it. Kathi
    ...See More

Quilt ideas from unusual sources (lotsa pics!)

Q

Comments (8)
    Maryliz, I have a copy of a paper napkin that my mom had that I thought would be a cute embroidered border. I've had it for years and never done anything with it! We're going on a Mediterranean cruise in April and I'm already planning a commemorative quilt, so I'll be keeping my eyes open on the trip and taking lots of pictures! Donna
    ...See More
  • eileen58
    12 years ago

I think your room has got some good basics, for a super charming space. Question though. Is the fireplace a corner only cabinet? I was wondering what it would look like centered under the small window. Flanked by the two chairs. You could put a large piece of art or mirror to increase the presence of the fireplace. Of course this would cover the window completely, but I think it would improve the scale of the fireplace, and give you another symetrical focal point.

Can't wait to see how you finish the room!

• geokid
    12 years ago

Completely the wrong style and a larger room, but this is the general idea of what I was thinking.

In this arrangement, you could then push the sofa closer to the chair and give the fireplace more room in its new spot.
    {{gwi:1601860}}

Out of all your arrangements, I like this one the best. I like the two chairs in front of the big window. You see more of the window that way. Let the sofa cover the wall, not the window.

And I haven't yet said that I love the room. Very comfortable and cozy!

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mustangs, LOL! We love those cats!

Eileen, I am kissing you through the screen! DH and I had talked about moving it, but I thought it would look dumb under the window. Well, we all know the window is dumb anyway. A few minutes and 6 screws later, the FP is moved between the chairs. PROBLEM SOLVED!

Will be back with picks.

Geo, I like that room!

• tinam61
    12 years ago

atkillery - I had Marion's room in mind also! Anele - take a look at Pottery Barn's website or catalog - they have many rooms with the white slipcovers - might give you some ideas.

tina

• User
    12 years ago

You're welcome. Glad it was helpful!
    I like the idea of the rust color for the coffee table until you replace it. I just went to JCP and started looking at curtains by colors.

Yeah, I really think changing out the backs of the bookcases and adding the trim will make huge custom like impact.

I didn't even think about the shelves being narrow for baskets. I know it's hard to find stuff that works at times.

I realized I didn't say this earlier but I really like your room. I don't think you have too much furniture and I like the chairs by the window.

Just saw about the fp move. I'm excited to see the new pics!

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

there is a lot on this thread, so I'll just make a disclaimer...I have browsed the photos.

Couple of ideas that come to mind, and I'm sorry if they have been suggested, and shot down.

I would try a couch or loveseat in front of that little window. Would it be possible to find a mirror, (maybe one made out of a window or one that looks like a window) to go under that little window? This would be basically to just fool the eye into thinking there is a larger window. Still dress with curtains. The only reason I asked about the larger piece is that it would hide the "secret" of the window better.
    See the one in my fireplace? I had it there covering the ugly brass before I painted the fireplace.

I think adding some lime green accents would look really fresh. I loved the look of the lime green with white slip covers I saw at Ikea once. Here's some pics I took when there

I would also try adding any chunky baskets that will work as storage but give you a layer of texture.

That's it for my brainstorming. I wonder if it made any sense?

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Tina, thank you!

Shee, you will have to give me table ideas. I feel like any coffee table of any color won't work, but we need a few side tables and something for our feet. I like TTodd's idea about the multi-function ottoman-- need to find out where to get that!

Bee, your room is GORGEOUS. Is the window in the FP new or vintage? I love it! TY for the Ikea pics, too!

Here are the latest pics. Keep in mind:
    - I just hung up the pics on the nails already there . . .that is why they are wrong!
    - I also took out the coffee table, but we will need something to put our feet on and something for drinks. -Still don't know what to do about the little window. I almost think I should take down the curtain rod and do an art nouveau stencil around it. The window can be the "art" over the FP. Other ideas??

(Forgot the flash!)

Patient baby (not really-- I carried her all day!)

• Olychick
    12 years ago

sometimes it takes a village!!! That looks fabulous, perfect! And the baby, too.

• polly929
    12 years ago

WOW!!!

It looks so fantastic now! Now I think a round coffee table will work fantastic in the room.

How about a smal vintage stained glass window, hung in front of the window? I don't think the small window looks so odd anymore.

And no matter what you do, the most beautiful thing in the room hands down is Paulina. No amount of furniture rearranging can beat her out! She is delicious!

The 2 empty walls behind the chairs need pics of your girls. Beautiful matted black and white photos of those gorgeous girls.

• cindyloo123
    12 years ago

Wow, I can't believe how moving the fireplace changed everything. Now it looks like the fireplace was always there and that is why the window is short. PERFECT!

I love the room. I am anxious to hear how well your new seating works for you. I only knew one person that had the Ikea sofas and she insisted they were horrible because the seat cushions constantly move forward. I'd like to get those sofas, but have been afraid because of my friend's experience.

I think the room could use some texture now. I see you plan to go with some natural type of woven shades and that would look great.

You mention you have had trouble finding baskets to fit your shelves. The easiest and cheapest way to get texture on the shelves would be to use it to cover the backs. You could cover foam board with burlap or buy a large natural texture shade, cut it up and hang it in the back of each section.

Adding texture and some real wood elements would help balance all of the white.

• eileen58
    12 years ago

Wow moving the fireplace looks better than I imagined it. The window and fireplace make a lovely marriage, super fun to accessorize

• andee_gw
    12 years ago

I am amazed at the difference with the fireplace moved. If you are going to add a darker glaze to the coffee table, you might consider doing it also to the fireplace -- it needs to stand out just a bit from the white slipcovers.

• JennaVaNowSC
    12 years ago

The new pictures are gorgeous. That fireplace looks perfect under that window.............amazing!!
    Agree with Andee about maybe glazing the fireplace too.
    What a beautiful difference.............you have had a lot of help on this talented forum!

• amykath
    12 years ago

What a small move can make such a HUGE difference!!!

The baby isnt half bad looking either! What a shmoopy!!

• amykath
    12 years ago

I had these panels in spice and loved them!!

Here is a photo...and I added fabric to the bottom...they werent that long.

{{gwi:1566224}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Curtains

• nancybee_2010
    12 years ago

It looks SO NICE!!
    Your baby is so cute, such big beautiful eyes.

• geokid
    12 years ago

It's perfect! Love it!
    Ditto on the stained glass above the fireplace.

• robin_DC
    12 years ago

The new fireplace location is great!

I like your slipcovered furniture, and agree with those who suggested bringing the colors from the rug up into other parts of the room. I probably would not do solid rust or gold curtains. Instead, a pattern that incorporates the deeper colors and white (or offwhite) would make the furniture coordinate better with the rug. The curtains aktillery posted were what I envisioned. I also thought of indian block printed fabrics, which sometimes combine those colors. The site linked below has a couple options in your color palette.

If you can sew (I can't, alas...), you should have plenty of fabric choices, because deep blues are popular now and stores are stocking more.

Here is a link that might be useful: hand blocked cotton panels

• andreadeg
    12 years ago

Now you posted a picture of your cute baby girl and she is stealing the show! What a cutie pie!

When I suggested bleaching your curtains earlier I didn't realize you had another spot for them in your house. I've never bleached curtains before myself, I was just thinking of putting them in the wash machine and adding bleach until they have a washed out feel to them. But if you are going to use them in another area of the house then I wouldn't do that. May as well get new curatins and use the green curtains elsewhere.

Your room is looking great and I envy your energy! I have one child and sometimes I can hardly keep up with juse one!

• eileen58
    12 years ago

I have another thought. Can you shift the rug so it is centered on the fireplace? It usually looks better to have the rug continue under the sofa a bit. Also pull it out from under the fireplace. Hopefully that would leave the front legs of all your seating pieces with rug under them.

• loribee
    12 years ago

Wonderful....esp. that sweet baby!!

I keep thinking about this room ~~~ so how about going with the curtains that Shee posted??
    You could put them on black rods with black clip rings, then add a throw and some pillows in a shade or 2 deeper than the curtains, plus 2 navy pillows.
    Then sand or stain your coffee table to a medium wood color.
    Finally, add a few seagrass ottomans for texture/storage and large black and white artwork or photos of your kids.
    I feel like just adding those few dark elements will tie your rug in quite nicely....

Here is a link that might be useful: seagrass ottomans

• amykath
    12 years ago

I would definitely get a round table or ottoman. I agree with painting or glazing the fireplace and pulling the rug out from underneath it.

This is a fun thread to follow. You have amazing energy!!

• Olychick
    12 years ago

I don't really think this leather is right for your room and think wood would be better, but this might be the kind of thing more along the lines of what Lynn was thinking. What I prefer about a pedestal coffee table (cut down oak ones are very stable and sturdy) is that you can sit on the floor to play games or do homework or crafts and get your feet and legs tucked under. something with sides straight to the floor is awkward, I think. My old oak dining table (my grandmothers from the early 1900's) is on little casters and is very easy to move when necessary, but does not move unless deliberately done.

This is $199 at target and I think the stools fit under the trays inside the piece. all the wood ones I've found that have little stools which push under a round piece seem to have glass tops. Maybe there are similar things that would suit you - this is just for an idea, but it would definitely give you lots of footstool options:

I wonder if you can paint leather :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: target ottoman

• dawnp
    12 years ago

Anele,

People like you make this site so fun.

I really admire your effort and think you are going to have a beautiful room! You have already made vast improvements!

I just wanted to comment that Nate Berkus often puts grasscloth wallpaper inside of white bookcases. The other day on the show, as suggested by others, he cut foam core to fit the backs of the bookcase sections and then wallpapered the front of the foam core. He did not wrap the foam core. I think this would be easier(and removable whenever you're done with it).

This is not a close-up but you can see the shelves in the background:

{{gwi:1601868}}

Source: thenateshow.com via Dawn on Pinterest

Keep us posted on how it's going!

• Bethpen
    12 years ago

I wanted to add that I'm having a blast following this thread too.

Beth P.

• mpmg46
    12 years ago

Just wanted to stop by to say that you did a fabulous job with the room! I love how the window has become the artwork over the fireplace.

I love this forum, b/c of the wonderful people who are so willing to help! What a great place!

• porkandham
    12 years ago

Your room looks great! I agree that the rug needs to be centered on the fireplace.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    12 years ago

I am awed; eileen58 and geokid had such good ideas about placing the fireplace under the small window. What a wonderful change!!!

As far as picture/artwork, why not consider using dark colors, such as the ones you have temporarily put up, that bring in the colors of the rug. That, different color tables, and pillows/throws bringing in the colors of the rug, IMO, would make a totally inviting room.

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I will be back with more once I am done with my work to THANK you all for these amazing ideas and discuss them more. I cannot even begin to tell you not only how much you've helped me, but how much it has warmed my heart that you care. Seriously. I spend so much time in my house with a lot of craziness, that getting this "solved" has already made my days much better.

I never tried the FP under the window because I thought it would look fake that way, since no real FP (except a gas one) could be under a window. That is what it so sad-- in my attempt to be authentic, I wasted a lot of time and hassle, never getting to the real solution. Again, it's thanks to all of you that it's fixed now!

I made one more change. A lot of what I've done is based on DH's insistence that the TV is on the main wall, and the big sofa stay on the opposite wall. But, since DH was OK with all these changes so far, I put the big sofa along the wall where you come in (where the loveseat was). This solved a few problems. Now the window is more open (not so blocked), the chair has a little more room, and I was able to put the sofa and loveseat in a true L form. This means the coffee table has a place now. (I still need to paint it.) No more floating. I couldn't put it in a real L shape before because then it would block our entry too much. Now the entry is even clearer since I could push the sofa into the room more. The only problem is that there is only one entrance into the LR now (and not a huge one), but oh well.

I centered the rug under the FP. It isn't centered with everything else in the room now, but that's OK.

I will be back. Just wanted to say THANK YOU again.

• cindyloo123
    12 years ago

That's so funny. It never even occurred to me that a window above a fireplace means the fireplace is fake.

But something was bugging me about how the fireplace looked in the corner. I realize now it was the fact that the corner was "open" over the fireplace. You never see an open corner above a corner fireplace, because of course that is where the chimney is.

I think the FP looks much more built in on the flat wall. And the window creates the look of a mirror over the FP.

• loribee
    12 years ago

Good for you...can't wait to see! :)

• vanillafields
    12 years ago

New here and don't have much valuable advice but wanted to say I love the change. Seriously, it looks so intentional ('built that way') for the FP to be underneath the window (and the reason for the window to be so small, too). Before, it was getting lost between the white furniture, now it' more of a focal point :). Can't wait for more pictures and the finished room.
    Also, what a beautiful baby you have - love those eyes!

• Oakley
    12 years ago

I liked it with the two chairs and end table w/lamp under the window. I immediately thought it is such a cozy place to curl up with a good book and a drink! Pepsi, of course. :)

While I like the last picture, there's nowhere to put an end table and lamp for reading, or to set a glass on top.

The room at night has beautiful ambience!

• hoosiergirl
    12 years ago

I can't believe what a difference moving the FP made! I love the last photos! I would suggest rattan for your coffee table or ottoman to bring in some texture. I'd just do wood blinds or shutters on the small window. (And give your cutie pie a kiss on the cheek from me -- I love baby cheeks!!)

• lyfia
    12 years ago

WOW! What a difference just re-arranging a room can make. To me it started out looking stark, a little odd and too much white to the new arrangement that I no longer feel it is too much white. I know the light is different, but it seems like there is enough breaks in color between the items to make it seem less stark.

Sorry no advice, just wanted to say what a great job you've done.

• deeinohio
    12 years ago

I'm also amazed how great your room looks now with the fireplace moved. Good job!

I'd look for a chest similar to aktillery's for a coffee table. Good for storing games, little pink plastic toys and matchbox cars, and handy to stash clutter when company comes. I have one I used years ago; it's in the basement now, but I kept my collection of decorating magazines in it, hidden from DH's eyes (why don't you throw all those old magazines out???).

When I was looking for a coffee table for the basement, which is where the grandkids and I hang out, I wanted one with a large top with some age so I wouldn't stress about the playdoh cookies or stray crayon or marker marks. I found one on Craigslist, square, with a drawer for holding card games and crayons, with tons of character, for $120.

Just some ideas.
    Dee

• User
    12 years ago

I love the new arrangement! It's cozy! It wouldn't of crossed my mind about the fp being fake under the window.

I like the idea of a storage ottoman but in the meantime I'd probably stain the top of the coffee table and use a dark paint and glaze on the rest. It looks good in my head anyhow! :)

While I still would add pillows and different curtains, I agree the room doesn't seem as stark now wih this arrangement if that makes sense.

I've enjoyed following this thread. Cute baby, btw! :)

• natal
    12 years ago

Eileen's suggestion to move the fireplace was positively genius! Made all the difference.

• natal
    12 years ago

How about a small vintage stained glass window, hung in front of the window?

Another great idea! Then no need for a window covering.

• JennaVaNowSC
    12 years ago

love the stained glass in front of the small window over fireplace. great idea!

looking forward to latest pics!~

• ttodd
    12 years ago

Wait - let me gather the kids....Okay - 'everybody now!': 8 thumbs up!

• luckygal
    12 years ago

Sweet baby! And the room is greatly improved with the latest arrangement! I think you are almost there! You are to be commended for decorating at all with 5 small children and on a limited budget!

I haven't read all the responses but here are a few random thoughts:

What do you think about using window film on the small window? Or stretch a semi-sheer fabric over a simple wooden frame and hang over the window?

I think you still need more color in the room to balance the visual weight of the rug and a window treatment using either wood blinds or colored/printed panels would help that. If you use wood blinds you could use the same treatment on the small window. IMO more wall decor is needed - I love the idea of children making art, framing it, and hanging as a gallery. Even young children can do fingerpainting which can look wonderful when framed. Inexpensive frames are abundant at thrift stores and yard sales and can be painted as you choose.

I've used double sided tape to attach heavy wallpaper to the back of a hutch. I used anaglypta type paper for mine which had a color but it can be painted any desired color. Odd rolls are quite inexpensive. Cut to fit exactly, tape tightly, and it's easy to change whenever. I don't really think it's necessary with your bookcases though if you put doors on the upper shelves, use baskets, and find some large colored pieces of pottery or other accessories.

While I adore the chair you posted with the slipcover made from a vintage chenille bedspread I do wonder how well that would wear. Very cosy and a nice cottage look tho. A heavy turned wood floorlamp would have better scale with your furniture than your present lamp - whoops, I see you have two new floorlamps which look fine.

White painted furniture can be darkened/antiqued using colored furniture polish or even brown shoe polish. Use a brush to get it into the crevasses then rub back until you get the shade you want and excess is removed.

• cindyloo123
    12 years ago

A carpenter could very easily make two end pieces to go on the sides of the fireplace, that would give you little shelves, just big enough to hold your Pepsi, book, etc.

Use wall arm lamps for reading and you'll have everything you need to make those two chairs functional, without having to add another piece of furniture on the floor.

• mpmg46
    12 years ago

I found this pic on houzz.com this evening and it made me think of your room. :)

So for what it's worth:
    Grr--I couldn't get it to post the pic within. Not sure why...sorry!

Here is a link that might be useful: [living room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/plantation-sunroom-traditional-sunroom-phvw-vp~30371)

• robin_DC
    12 years ago

I can't wait to see new pictures! Pillows in this color scheme might help relate the furniture to the rug.

Here is a link that might be useful: [sofa with pillows on houzz[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/strictly-simple-style-eclectic-living-room-phvw-vp~56633)

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh my goodness! Thank you so much for the continued ideas and photos! It is so great to see similar rooms and see how they work!

As for the small window, I do think I am going to get stained glass to hang there. I think that would help hide the ugly white section that divides the window.

I got samples of linen today for curtains. I was settled on cream that would match the wall. My idea was to use an obi as a tie-back to bring in color. Not sure. Anyway, the stock quickly depleted so I'd be cutting it close with the yardage.

RE: fireplace placement-- I agree,it totally looked fake in the corner, too. I saw a blog where someone built up the wall for her corner FP to make it look real, but that involved drywall and seemed too complicated. Long ago, before we got this fake FP, my original idea was to get a REAL (antique/vintage) mantle with the top on it, and just cover the window, and then put in a box that way. It seemed too hard to do (not really any more $) at the time since decorating is pretty much last on the list of priorities. A few weeks ago I asked DH if we could try moving the FP to see, and he said it was so heavy, would be a lot of work, etc. (gave me the runaround). He was pretty shocked when he got home this week and I'd moved it myself. He asked me how I did it. Like I said-- it took all of MINUTES. This is why I need time to do this stuff myself. Then it gets done! Eventually, I would like to get the antique/vintage mantle like I originally wanted, but that will have to wait. (Maybe we'll have moved to a house with a real one by then!)

It is still too much white furniture in the room. Covering the chairs would make a big difference, but I don't have the $ to pay someone to do it, and I don't have the time to do it myself. So, it will have to wait.

Guess what DH said today? He said (all on his own) that he thinks this arrangement works. I am shocked. Normally he says nothing!

Anyway-- here is my list of ideas, sort of in order of priority. Have no idea how/when I'd get this done.

1. Curtains. Still thinking of linen with the obi tiebacks. For some reason am fixated on eventually getting orange or coral velvet curtains for fall/winter.
    2. Pillows. Want to get navy, aubergine, and coral/persimmon/rust. Some Ikat pillows have all of these colors. I want some throws, too.
    3. Paint table. May eventually replace it with a round wooden one, but the smaller oval I have gives us more floorspace and we don't have to use coasters when it's painted. :) 4. Slipcover chairs. Not sure with what since I would not want anything too heavy to compete with the sofa/LS, but would have to be sturdy enough to withstand so many people. Thinking microsuede for practical reasons, but still seems heavy.
    5. Cover inside of middle section of bookcase with fabric. I am thinking of chinoiserie fabric. I would put fabric in the top sections with pattern, and then something solid behind the TV.
    6. Get doors for tops of bookcases.

(I am not sure how I'd ever have time to do ALL of the inside of the bookcases . . .and have yet to find baskets that would fit in the shelves.)
    7. Add trim to bookcases. Paint in a color that complements middle section.
    8. And of course, continue to look for accessories for the mantle and inside of bookcase, as well as stained glass for window when I have the $.

Oops. Forgot about artwork. Went looking for frames today for the girls' artwork, but none were on sale. May get some vintage ones instead. There are other little things . . .like I need to change the lightbulbs in the lights on the mantle (want something amber, maybe one of those flickering ones), get a different light switch, etc.

Whew. This is a long process!!!!

Again, thank you so much for the ideas and encouragement. Your enthusiasm keeps me going!

• lauriedeee
    12 years ago

The fireplace under the window looks amazing, and it's probably more practical if that's a heat source. The living room looks so much bigger with the fp under the window.

These gals on GW are terrific!

• anele_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Laurie, I agree. I do not know what I would do without the help here! So much talent!!!! I tell my friends/family how much the GWers have helped me-- even down to my baby's name!!