SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
triciae_gw

'Restaurant Impossible' with Robert Irvine

triciae
13 years ago

I know many here on the CF don't think too highly of the Food Network. But, I posted a recipe several weeks ago on the crepes thread for a lobster crepe served at the Mystic Inn. So, I thought a few might be interested to know that Robert Irvine, the 'Restaurant: Impossible' crew, & the FN were here in Mystic at the Inn last Monday, Tuesday, & Wednesday filming. FN chose the Floodtide at the Inn for an episode of 'Restaurant: Impossible'. They revamp restaurants that are on the verge of failure.

The recession has hurt restaurants around the country and many in vacation spots like Mystic have been hurt badly. The Floodtide has been known throughout Connecticut for decades as one of the state's best restaurants & received many awards. Unfortunately, it's also known as expensive, stuffy, and fuddyduddy (is that a word?). It's considered a place where wealthy out-of-state tourists eat or where you might make a reservation to celebrate a very special event. It's a white tablecloth with wait staff in black tuxedos type of place. Their food is good & featured quality local ingredients but the menu is not innovative especially by the standards of today's more global food trends. Still, those crepes are great!

Anyway, I will no longer be able to eat at a restaurant but DH paid them a visit yesterday to see how the filming & renovations went. The owners & staff are exhausted but excited & upbeat yet with a feeling of nostalgia. For example, my favorite crepes are no longer on the new menu devised by Robert Irvine but DH was told anybody requesting the crepes would not be disappointed & that they were already planning on returning them officially to the menu! lol

The Inn still doesn't have their new menu on their website but it will be soon & I'm looking forward to seeing the changes. The 'Restaurant: Impossible' show is supposed to air on the FN sometime in January according to the Floodtide staff.

I hope the changes bring financial stability to the Floodtide although I admit to being saddened to see the loss of what I considered excellent quality familar favorites. This is not the first time FN has visited Mystic. This IS the first time though that they've left such a footprint along our harbor. Chef Bob Tripp, creator of "my" crepes, has returned to the Floodtide & I'm hoping this new menu has at least some of his stamp.

/tricia

Comments (12)