SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
no_green_thumb

Benjamin Moore Paint - Deep Base

no_green_thumb
14 years ago

About five or so years ago, I removed wallpaper in my foyer. I skimmed over the bad areas, primed with Kilz, then painted two coats of a very dark paint in BM Regal Matte. The walls chalked every time they were rubbed. I have since painted over all of that mess with a lighter color and it is fine. I kept thinking (and think that I read) that paints made with deep bases can do this.

I am now faced with a similar situation in another room. My decorator has picked out a paint color that it a little darker than I typically choose. I called my paint store to see what base this color uses, and while it is not a deep, dark color, it does use the deep base #3 of the four bases BM has. I explained my concerns and he said that he has not heard of these chalking problems - that there was probably something wrong with the wall prep.

I had painted the walls just about 4 months ago, a lighter BM beige. He suggested washing the walls (typically I admit I don't do this), then one coat of BM primer, one coat of paint.

Hoping to be reassured by the pros here that this is not a normal situation with Regal Matte Base #3 - and that I should be okay. Thank you so much for your help.

Comments (28)