SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
johnmari_gw

is there a good low/no-VOC semigloss for trim/cabs?

johnmari
17 years ago

I need to paint bathroom cabinets and trim/doors and it's too cold to open windows, but I get migraines at the drop of a hat these days so I'm just not up to battling the VOCs. Plus we're considering painting the cabinets black and I know adding lots of pigment increases VOC content, so common sense suggests using a base with lower VOCs so as not to compound the problem. (Trim will be plain off-the-shelf white.) AND we're going to be doing lots of painting overall in the coming weeks which means lots of cumulative exposure. I will be using Kilz Low-VOC primer as everything's in pretty ratty shape and I have no idea what the finish is on the trim, it feels almost like there isn't any. I have access to most national mainstream brands, although not ICI/Dulux (I hear their Lifemaster line is good though). My fave paint dealer is no longer carrying the lower-VOC C2 ProSeries, just the Premium, which I can't use right now. :-(

Dripping, sagging, or otherwise misbehaving is also a very bad thing - I will admit that we are not very good painters! (OK, I'll call a spade a spade, we pretty much suck. LOL) So a paint that plays nice would really help.

BTW, many paints labeled "low odor" or "odorless" are not low-VOC, they just contain agents that numb your nose. Kilz Odorless, for example, is absolutely vicious stuff - working with that is like taking the top off your head and stirring with a spoon. You have to read the label/specs/MSDS.

Comments (23)