SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dileas_gw

painting stair spindles with low voc paint

dileas
15 years ago

I currently have a staircase that has the spindles and bannister painted white. The rest (treads, risers and the skirt board) are all carpeted. The paint is wearing off to the point that in a few places it is down to the bare wood - this is especially evident on the posts at the corners. The bannister itself is still in really good condition. My house is about 12 yrs old and I am pretty sure that the stairs haven't been touched since the house was built. I have no idea what kind of paint is currently on them (and no idea how to figure out which kind of paint was used).

I'd like to just repaint the bannister and spindles in a white paint (I'll decide on a colour when I get closer to being able to paint). I have a toddler though and an older child who tends to get bronchitis easily and I get migraines just from walking by the perfume counters in the mall, so I really need a non-odour or low voc paint. Do you folks have any suggestions on what paints or types of paints I should be using for this project? Will a latex paint be suitable for a high traffic area like this? Also, I've started sanding the spindles and have touched up a few spots with a wood filler. Are there any other prep stuff that I should be considering? And are there primers that are low voc (I'm assuming I need 1 primer coat, 2 paint coats)?

Comment (1)