SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jscozz_gw

Re-stain possible?

jscozz
16 years ago

I had unfinished hardwood installed in my new home. All red Oak. The flooring contractor finished the floor with English Chestnut Minwax stain by applying and then within a minute, wiping it off with a rag. I had my paint contractor stain my handrail and 6 newel posts on my main staircase (also red oak). I saved part of a can of the stain the flooring contractor used. When I came in to see the work, it looked darker than the floor. I found out that they just brushed it on without wiping it off. Also, about a 1/4" strip around the bottom of the main to posts (7"x7") at the bottom of my stairs looks lighter... like possibly the flooring contractor got polyurethane on it and the painter did not sand it off before staining. Other areas also look blotchy... I am guessing the wiping off part helps to blend it also, since my floors look very uniform and great!

My question is, once the stain has dried a few days, can it be sanded off back to bare oak and re-stained properly? I know it will be a pain since the base posts have a lot of trim and fluting on them, and the handrails need to be sanded in between each painted spindle... but sanding with a 220 grit or so get it back to bare wood easily to re-stain it properly?

The base newel posts land right on the first tread and the difference in shades is significant! End grain areas and bottom of fluted areas also pooled stain and are darker... wiping would have probably helped that also.

How can I fix this (of have my painting contractor fix it)?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (4)