SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tessieq_gw

Dry Rot - Your Opinions, Please

TessieQ
11 years ago

Hello, Everyone...

My husband and I are in the process of purchasing a 50-year-old, one-story, ranch style house. The previous owner was an inept Mr. Fix-It who either didn't know about/understand/care about home maintenance and improvements.

As a result, our building inspector's report is a Russian novel's worth of problems that need to be addressed before we will close the deal.

Two of the biggest problems (from our point of view, at least) is the dry rot shown here and, in another Old House Forum posting I'm making today, an out-of-plumb post.

Here's what the building inspector's report said: "Rot damaged sill plate and subflooring at foundation wall under kitchen sink counter. It's old damage from prior leaking. What was leaking I can't tell for sure. Replace section of rot damaged sill plate and replace rot damaged subfloor boards and repair any adjacent damage to the bottom of wall if needed."

We're a bit disturbed that the building inspector says he couldn't tell for sure what was leaking. The area in question is directly behind the dishwasher and kitchen sink, so it seems obvious to us what leaked.

Frankly, my husband is more worried about this than he is about the out-of-plumb post (please see my other Old House Forum posting I did today...12/1/12).

Have any of you come up against this sort of issue? If so, how big of a deal did you think it was and how much did it cost you to have it repaired?

I would very much appreciate any information or advice you can offer.

Thanks so much for your help!

Best...

Tess

Comments (18)