SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alymarie_gw

Recommendations for trim & door paint & stain

alymarie
17 years ago

We are painting and staining everything ourselves in the house that we are building. We just finished with the ceilings and walls - yay! Now the trim carpenter is supposed to be finished on Thursday and we have the daunting task ahead of us of painting the trim, windows and some of the doors. 10 of the doors will be painted and 13 of them are cherry which we want to apply a very light stain. We are leaning towards using BM Satin Impervo on the trim. Will that also work well for the doors? Does anyone have recommendations on staining the doors (and stair rails, mantel, etc..)? I'd like to use a water based since we don't have time to wait for oil to dry. I love how much easier it is to apply oil but it always takes too long to dry (at least the way I apply it) plus I don't want to worry about oil rags around the house or cleaning up with mineral spirits. My experience with water based has not been good though. It usually dries too fast and I can't keep up with it. I am assuming there is something I could add to it to slow down the drying time. Any recommendations on products or brands? Thanks.

Comments (3)