SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bengardening

Did you attend a one room school house?

bengardening
14 years ago

If you did do you have some memories to share? Some of my favorites are the Christmas programs and parties afterward. Each family had to bring a white sheet to make a curtained stage for the program. They were strung on wire with a dressing room on each end. We had songs plays skits and poems. One time we were doing Twas The Night before Christmas and A boy a year younger than I was sleeping in a bed and another older boy was coming down the chimney

and he fell and the whole chimney went down with him. One of the poems I had to learn when I was in the first or

second grade was

Johnny and Billy were two little boys

They played with their food instead of their toys

So when Christmas came

Santa Claus brought them Peas and Carrots instead of a train

I also remember my cousins came to visit from out of state that summer and that was their names and I said that poem and they got mad.

Another one of my favorite memories was the end of the year picnic. It was always held on a Sunday and the whole family went. There was so much food and after dinner all of the dads played softball with the kids of all ages. I remember being so proud of my dad.

I remember making german stars for decorations they were so pretty.

I also remember a hook in the middle of the ceiling and I asked my dad what that was for and he said when they painted they swung from a rope so they could reach further up and I believed him. LOL I was really young then. What it was really for was a globe used to be attached to a rope and when it was needed they lowered it I think anyway.

We had 2 outhouses and no well at the school so someone would have to walk down the hill to get a pail of water at the nearest farm for drinking water. There was also no phone there so if someone had to make a call they had to walk down to that farm too.

Some of the games we played were softball a lot when it was nice. Ante I Over over the barn and in the winter time when it was cold out and we didnt like the teacher we would go out in the barn and play softball I remember there was a window broken out of one end and a kid hit the ball right through the window. Fox and the geese was another game we played and there was a small hill beside the softball diamond and we spent a lot of time sledding there. Some of the kids had boughten sleds and some used waxed cardboard but the best thing that worked were the old wooden desk tops that were really slick boy could you go on them.

This was all in the 50*s and 60*s.

Comments (24)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH